Bearing under water pump; metal pieces noted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing under water pump; metal pieces noted

Was changing the water pump on my 98 Salt Water series II and looked at the seal/bearing under the steel plate. I cleaned it out a bit with a screwdriver and thought it was a shell piece but then noticed it was a few small pieces of metal. The drive shaft turns ok and no noise. Is that the bearing breaking up?

The bearing is under the seal, so it's doubtful pieces of bearing could find their way up onto top of seal. Maybe metal pieces are from the water pump wear plate or other.....maybe if it's running fine then just clean it out real good and run it as it is....least that's what I'd be inclined to do....good luck!

Comment

Ok thanks; thats what I was inclined to do but appreciate the advice.
      SR

Comment

most likely its pieces of the seal garter spring.
        indicates the seal is bad.

Comment

Really where is that spring located? The pieces did look like a tiny spring.
          Thanks
          SR

Comment

the spring is located on the inside lip of the seal, if the spring is gone or broken the seal needs to be replaced..

Comment

spring.jpg
              This is a picture of the spring, does it look the right size? So does this require changing the seal only or the bearing also? That looks like a big job from what I've seen.
              Thanks
              SR

Comment

what do you not understand about you needing to replace the seal?
                That spring is part of the seal

Comment

The spring goes around the circumference of the seal lip to provide constant tension on the shaft sealing surface....sounds like a combination of wear,tear and maybe corrosion caused the spring to fail...as usual, Rodbolt hit it right on the head! Anyway, a seal replacement shouldn't break the bank, and it'll help keep water out of your lower unit!...good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your response; appreciate it.
                    SR

Comment

garter spring pieces.
                      dang
                      one may think I have seen it once before.

Comment

Working...
                      X