VZ175TLRB Driveshaft Wet With Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VZ175TLRB Driveshaft Wet With Oil?

Help, I'm panicked. Removed my lower unit this morning to have repair done on my skeg. I noticed the driveshaft was wet from oil, but not quite all the way down to the impeller housing. I looked up into the mid and it is dripping down. Looks like a couple of ounces total. The leaking oil is tinted blue and very clean. I took detailed pics of both the driveshaft and the housing if it helps.

Is this as serious as I assume it is? Perhaps a lower crankcase seal?

Very clean? Like unburnt two stroke oil? Wonder if the mechanical oil pump could have a leaky shaft or something and it's leaking into the crankcase. Might remove and inspect the mechanical oil pump, or just pull it away from the block and see if it's wet or oily on the shaft. Just wasting oil.

Mike

Comment

That being a 2003 motor check on the warranty period it may be under warranty, any Yamaha dealer can check warranty status with the serial number (I can check it you like just send me serial#). There are two places it could come from when you take the oil injection pump like Hamfisted said look at the back seal in oil pump (seal popped out or damaged) a bad seal will leak into crankcase. You normally see heavy smoke on start up if oil seal has failed. The lower drive shaft seal in crankcase is the one, the easiest way to check it is to tilt down until level remove air silencer cover and pour oil into lower throttle valve (I use Marvel Mystery Oil because it's red in color and easy to detect), if oil runs out of drive shaft housing then the powerhead needs to pulled to check seal. The HPDI engines do use a heavier oil mixture (the z250 is 30:1 at WOT) so there may be some unburned oil but normally a small amount.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Oops! Sorry, I screwed up on the model year. It is the TLRZ- 2001. No warranty, however it only has 156 hours according to my YDS.

The oil does not appear to have been leaking prior to removing the driveshaft, as there is no evidence of it slinging off the shaft onto the housing. My guess is there is unburned two cycle oil puddled in the bottom of the crankcase.

I pulled the oil pum off to inspect both of the O rings and the seal. They all look good to the eye ,however oil did pour out of the crankcase where the pump mounts. I'm thinking that is not normal?

BTW, I have to drive down HWY 27 through Lake Placid tomorrow. Should I stop and pick up both O rings and the seal, or pour the Marvel down the bottom butterfly first to eliminate the crank seal?

Comment

Boats.net, what does the new part number mean for the HPDI oil injection pump? What did they change or improve on? Is it worth upgrading to?

Mike

Comment

It passed the Marvel oil test. While doing it I noticed two cycle oil puddled in the bottom throttle opening.

Unless suggested otherwise, I'll replace the oil pump O rings and the little seal inside the "distance collar.
            Thanks gentlemen!

Comment

Kevenpmac
              There is normally only a small amount of oil behind oil pump, if the seal looks good then you might leave the oil pump loose from engine and hang by the hose to see if oil leaks out of pump. Also check the oil level in oil tank(engine tank), if tank overfilling it will overflow thru vent hose into air silencer and into crankcase. We do have the Orings for oil pump but the oil seal is part of oil pump you would have to replace whole oil pump.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Mike
                The oil pump change on Z175 must not be much of a change there are no bulletins on it. You shouldn't have to change the oil pump unless you have a Z250TXRB/TURB, LZ250TXRB/TURB or VZ225TLRB, VZ250TLRB contact a dealer if you have one of these motors.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                X