Having trouble removing steering cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble removing steering cable

I have a 90hp yamaha 2cycle outboard and I am having a lot of trouble removing the steering cable, it seems to be stuck inside the tube. When I removed the steering guide the cable seemed to move fine. Am I overlooking something?

if you have unscewed the big nut on the starboard side the cable should come out, some times they are stuck. if you have to hammer it out put a bolt in the hole of the steering cable so you dont collapse the hole, good luck.

Comment

Hello to all, just signed up cause i seem to find alot of good info here, anyways, I'm a newbie to boat mtx/repair and I'm running into the same issue as stated in this post. I have a 98 Yamaha 90 2 stroke and I'm trying to replace the steering cable, however it's jammed pretty good in the steering tube. I've read in other threads that you can heat the component with a propane torch....my question is where exactly do you apply the heat and for how long? If I screw this up whats the worst case scenario? thanks for any help...newbie

Comment

Originally posted by 98Cobia17flats View Post
        Hello to all, just signed up cause i seem to find alot of good info here, anyways, I'm a newbie to boat mtx/repair and I'm running into the same issue as stated in this post. I have a 98 Yamaha 90 2 stroke and I'm trying to replace the steering cable, however it's jammed pretty good in the steering tube. I've read in other threads that you can heat the component with a propane torch....my question is where exactly do you apply the heat and for how long? If I screw this up whats the worst case scenario? thanks for any help...newbie
        I wouldn't be heating anything in that area. For heat to work, you'd have to heat the outer, engine pivot (where the engine swings up and down on).

I would simply get some PG blaster (IMO, seems to work better than liquid wrench), spray the snot out of each end and work the cable back and forth.

If need be, take a sawzall to the long end of the cable, cut it so you can use that end, to get some movement back and forth. As posted above, don't destroy (mushroom) one end or your screwed..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

me? I heat them all the time.
          sometimes I have to replace the tube due to corrosion.
          2 bucks worth of grease once a year will prevent cable replacement.

Comment

Once you have it repaired, I have a cable end nut similar to this (o-ring inside) that keeps water out and grease in:

Amazon.com: Davis Steering Rod Lubricating Nut Seal Sealer/Lube: Sports & Outdoors

Mine is slighty different and after two decades age, its gone on every engine I've since owned (after replacing a seized inner cable such as yours). An occassional greasing once in awhile, haven't replaced a cable since I got that unit. Well worth the investment. I think it was a "Cable Buddy" but not sure as its been awhile.

Scott

Comment

Any updates? You get it out??
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X