Engine flooding out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine flooding out

Took my 2004 115hp out for the first time in a couple months. Started right up, but keep flooding out when speed was increased. Noticed fuel pouring out of the fuel intake cover. There appeared to be a small drain hole on the bottom of intake cover and the fuel was coming out of the hole and into the base housing. This drain hole looked like a hose should be connect to it, but I did not notice any lose hoses.

Did not notice fueling leaking at first, it was just hard to get the engine to rev. up and get on top. Once on top engine would only turn over 4500 rpm. Made my way to fishing spot and noticed fuel leaking. Coming back was worst with engine only reving up to 2000. After about 20 minutes of this it speed up enough to get on top, but ran very bad.

Could the carb.'s be gummed up from not using it in a couple of months and something is stuck open allowing more fuel than needed?

It sounds like the floats are stuck open in carbs, needs carbs cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

gbayou,
      I agree with boats.net that you probably have a float valve stuck open (due to gum/varnish in carbs).
      You might try doing a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree - works sometimes if the carbs aren't in too bad a shape. Try taping on the side of the carb bowls with the handle end of a screwdriver after you squeeze the primer bulb a few times to fill the carb bowls. You are trying to get the carb float to come up and engage the cut-off float valve.
      If the above does not do the trick, then you will have to remove the carbs and do a teardown, cleaning, and kit install.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Working...
      X