can't throttle down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't throttle down

1993 50 hp yamaha. At full throttle when I go to slow down, I can pull throttle back a little ways and then it hangs up. If I put to much pressure on it the the linkage comes off where the needle is. Where the needle is, is that the side of the cdi? The needle is hard to move, I would think it needs to be a little more free than it is. Any help would be greatly apprciated!!

randy,
    I would disconnect the throttle cable from the carbs linkage and see if the resistance is in the carb linkage or the throttle cable, and go from there.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken!

Comment

The needle on side of CDI unit should move freely it shouln't be hard to move. I have seen some problems with the 703 side mount control boxes, there is a neutral lock piece behind the control lever( a white plastic piece) if it breaks it can lock up throttle lever. You have take control loose from boat and on the backside there is a bolt that holds control lever on, take lever loose and replace 703-48245-00-00 lock plate.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks boat.net Control box is okay I think. Forgot to mention, when linkage comes off needle when I put to much pressure on it, the needle is almost skyward. Should it be pointing that high?
          Thanks,
          Randy

Comment

i have the same issue. when i pull the trottle down it hangs halfway.
            but i can get it in neutral if u trottle up and pull it down fast which causes the boat to pull back real fast(make people who is standing up lean back)

cable is fine
            seems like it gets hung up at the cdi(arrow?)

hopefully someone can chime in and solve both ur problems.

Comment

i have the same issue. when i pull the trottle down it hangs halfway.
              but i can get it in neutral if u trottle up and pull it down fast which causes the boat to pull back real fast(make people who is standing up lean back)

cable is fine
              seems like it gets hung up at the cdi(arrow?)

hopefully someone can chime in and solve both ur problems.

Comment

still have the same issues. Any solution?

Comment

Need to disconnect cable and linkage and find which one is hard to move or hanging up,the CDI, linkage or cables.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X