Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOT drop after adding hydrofoil

Hello everyone,

I was having issues getting my 2004 16' Legend (smokercraft) All-sport on plain with my 2003 T50, so I went and bought a hydrofoil. It did the trick! The boat hops out on plain and takes off like a rocket!

There is one thing I noticed though my WOT dropped about 700RPM. I was hitting about 5200 ROM before. Now I am hitting 4500RPM. The funny thing is, after a couple of turns the motor will slowly increase back up to 5000RPM.

Not sure what is going on.

HELP!

Strange! Shouldn't happen...a least such a big diference... the cases i know dont even increase or decrese WOT

Comment

I thought so too. The strangest part is it's eventual rise back up to the appropriate RPM. I was getting 32mph (GPS) at 5200rpm and now I'm getting 24mph at 4500RPM and eventually is rises to 30mph at 5000RPM. I can see a MPH or two and 100-200RPM drop, but no more than that. I can't raise the trim amymore either, it's maxed out. Unless that can be adjusted...

Comment

The height of motor in the stern is OK?

Comment

Yep! I didn't touch the height. Everything is even.

Comment

If you're sure a about height... for now just remember one more thing but I dont think it can make such a big diference

The format of hydrofoil follow +/- the format of the hull?

Try to remove the hydrofoil and make sure something wrong didnt happen with motor in the meanwhile (hope not)

Comment

I'm going back up to the cottage this weekend. I'll remove the hydrofoil and see if the RPMs come back.

Comment

OK so I was at the cottage on the weekend and I put seafoam in the gas tank along with fresh gas. I double checked the motor height and the hydrofoil/cav plate are even with the bottom of the boat. I checked the spark plugs (which look new) and they look fairly white (lean) so I checked the fuel filter,, fuel lines, primer bulb, water separator and fuel pump. Everything looked good. After assembling everything back together I took it out again on Sunday morning and presto 5000-5100rpm every time! Though it did cut out on me twice when doing a fast hole shot ( new problem?) Also, prop size is 13 1/2 X 15, I'm getting 5100rpm at 31mph on a legend v-166. That sound right?
                Last edited by bigblue1212; 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi!

Compared like was before looks like is OK now. (B4 5200RPM/32MPH, now 5100RPM/31MPH) Lost 100 RPM/1MPH which is no big deal.

In my opinion 5100/5200RPM is little RPM, Try 13k (pitch) prop

Good luck

Comment

your RPM is still about 800 RPM low.
                    that motor should be able to spin between 5800-6000 with that days load.

the T50 was designed as a high thrust engine,you most likely should have bought an F50 not a T.

either way it needs to spin at least 5800 RPM with that days load.

Comment

The motor and boat were bought used. So I didn't really have a choice in the matter. The hesitation/stall out I was experiencing I'm assuming is when the carbs are switching from the low speed to high speed jets. I do have another prop and threw it on. Its a 13x13 prop. The RPMs were up around 5400 but my top speed dropped to 24-25mph down from 31mph....that doesn't seem right. That's a big difference for a half an inch smaller prop.
                      Last edited by bigblue1212; 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

find a dealership with test wheel YB1611.
                        a 10 minute session will tell if you have engine or hull/rigging issues.

way better than monkeying with it.

Comment

Follow the Rod advise! Than you can be completely sure.

But... in my opinion you'll need a prop with less diameter (even a 13K pitch) That motor must be used for big load boats
                          The props for T50 or FT50 are the same used on 2 stroke 60-140HP and 4 stroke T50, T60 until F115

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites...20T50-F115.pdf

Yamaha just have one 13 pitch prop for that motor. Maybe you must have a look on aftermarket

Good luck

Comment

toss the prop overboard and your RPM issues are solved.
                            however test wheel YB1611 will tell you in less than 10 minutes which issue you have.
                            engine OR hull/rigging.
                            remember propping is RIGGING not engine.
                            if that engine will spin test wheel YB1611 at 5250-5450 RPM then chase hull/rigging.
                            if it wont, fix the motor till it will and retest.

10 minutes and your not chasing ghosts.

Comment

So I went up this weekend and found a few things:

1. The air vent on the built in gas tank was clogged. I cleaned it out.
                              2. With two people sitting in the aft seats I got 300 RPM more (this also made the addition of 350lbs more in the boat)
                              3. After a cleaned the air vent i seemd to get 150-200 more RPM. Instead of a consistant 5100-5200 (just me in the boat) I was hitting just shy of 5400rpm.

I also want hitting an added 2MPH.

Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X