25 hp no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 hp no power

iHello everyone , my 2003 25hp yamaha outboard starts and fine *****s well but will not rev up to full power.
    I tried new spark plugs ,gas tank ,fuel line , check fuel pump for tears, filter, pulled carbs and spayed them out with carb cleaner and compressed air .
    there has been 3 times over this long problem that seemingly when it been cold in the morning its starts up and goes great full power but then after *****ing for a while it comes back to no power.
    I had a friend have the same problem with a 70hp merc. and it was the cdi unit .
    any comments would be appreciated.
    I`ve been reading other post about a kv tester and am having a little problem finding an inexpensive one .
    does anyone know what KV reading I would expect on these coils.

its been a few weeks but finally got back up to the boat and since then I discovered one of my meters has peak reading on it so I checked the output and it reads 110 volts repeatedly , I also checked the coils and they measure .5 on the primary and 8 k on the secondary I checked the ohms readings on the stator and trigger and were as per the info I had .
    coming out of the cdi unit there are 3 unused wires that were tucked under the engine they do have the factory plastic cover on them but are open ended I was wondering could one of these been touching something under there I say this because I did nothing else but test and just for the heck I started it and it had lots of power and it lasted 2 days it did this intermittently before but would only last a 1/2 hr .
    this has been driving me crazy but next time if ever it acts up I will test the cdi output again .
    I only keep adding to this post because I hate unfinished posts that tell you nothing . I will add to this if it comes back .
    I like to do things backwards so now I will order a yamaha manual . I know I know !!!
    Last edited by barrie ontario; 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM. Reason: more info
Working...
X