tilt and trim puzzler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt and trim puzzler

sometimes when Im running one of my motors tilts up all by itself. (yamaha 150's 1986) the tilt switch on the console will raise both motors but only lower the starboard one. the port engine has to be lowered with the button on the motor. Its pretty annoying. Anyone have an idea? Short or bad ground? the control and harness are only a couple of years old. thanks...

wood4d,
    Do you have an individual t/t switch for each motor on the console? Or just one t/t switch for both motors?
    Ken K

Comment

I have both individual and combined, same behavior on both switches

Comment

wood4d,
        If the switches that are built into the lower cowling on the motors tilt the motors up/down ok, then I will rule out bad t/t relays.
        Sounds like you have bad switch(s) at the console. I would disconnect the common switch first, and see if that eliminates the problem. If not, then it will be the individual switch built into the binnacle control.
        I will send you a (rough) hand-drawn diagram of a typical t/t motor and it's associated relays and switches. It may help you to understand what you are dealing with.
        Good luck, and let us know what you find out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

process of elimination is the best way like Ken said, most of time it's from water getting into trim switches, as the boat moves around the water shorts out the contacts inside switch and trims motor. You can take the switches apart to inspect the inside but it's real easy to lose springs and contacts, then you have replace switch anyway. The switches on lower cowling of engine just unplug the harness(if it has switch on engine).You will have to remove the cover on control to unplug control trim switches.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X