Fuel starvation problem Yamaha 150 2 cyscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel starvation problem Yamaha 150 2 cyscle

1. Bought 3 months 17.5 ‘ Boston Whaler Outrage 1996 with 2003 150 2 Cycle Yamaha outboard
    2. No problem when I bought it, tested in Pensacola bay for 45 minutes
    3. I took out 3 weeks ago and as I left the no wake area and went to almost full throttle it died.
    4. I could crank again and limp back to boat dock.
    5. I noticed that primer bulb was compressed when it had died.
    6. I opened up floor port and checked the anti siphon valve and it was blogged.
    7. I cleaned out the anti siphon valve with compressor, check for any obstruction in the line.
    8. I also removed and replace the Gas/water separator and install new filter on it.
    9. Once again I went for test run. I ran engine for a good 30 minutes, WOT, half throttle and idle speeds with no problem.
    10. After @ half hour from idle to half throttle it would hesitate and then take off. I was back to same problem.
    11. It did the hesitation for the next ten minutes every time I would try to go to half or full throttle
    12. Finally it started missing like being starved for fuel again, even at idle speed.
    13. I then took an external 6 gallon take, by-passed the gas/water separator filter and went directly into the engine.
    14. I again had the same hesitation problem.
    15. I checked the anti siphon valve fitting again and it was not blogged this time. I was guessing maybe what ever was in the tank had also worked its way up into the motor mounted filters (three each).
    16. I took it to a Yamaha outboard mechanic at this time and I am having the filters replaced on the engine.
    17. The mechanic said there was gunk in the on board fuel tank and they thought the fuel tank would have to be removed and cleaned

QUESTIONS:
    18. Is there something I can do also before I go removing the center steering wheel console, and the deck to remove the gas tank?
    19. Should the Gas/water separator be catching any gunk and debris if it was still coming from the tank, before it reaches the other filters on the engine?
    20. Would a product like sea foam be worth trying or will I just plug up all the filters again so they have to be replaced?
    Last edited by KennJones; 06-14-2013, 01:42 PM.

black crude in gas tank

found the problem, black crud in the gas tank.
    any body know who I can send the 56 gallon tank to get it cleaned? or any body have a manual to show how to take tank out of 1996 17.5 foot outrage boston whaler

Comment

find a fuel polishing service in your area... if its ethanol gas and over a month old..... have them rid of it
      then clean your fuel system on motor

Comment

Originally posted by KennJones View Post
        found the problem, black crud in the gas tank.
        any body know who I can send the 56 gallon tank to get it cleaned? or any body have a manual to show how to take tank out of 1996 17.5 foot outrage boston whaler
        You should be able to get the fuel drained out and then find a place that works on fuel tanks. I would recommend a place that works on 18 Wheelers to clean the tanks. They should be able to clear the crud out and then leave the tank clear enough to fill with clean gas.

As for the fuel filter(s), are you running 10micron filters, if so they should be catching all the crap coming from the tank to leaving the pre-filters in front of the engine clear.

Comment

yes it is an Napa 10 micron filter. I just replaced it also

Comment

I got some things from WE$T Marine that you put inside your tank through the fuel level sensor hole and it should absorb any water in the tank bottom and encapsulate it. Then you retrieve it and dispose of it by drying it out to evaporate. Then Starbrite has a fuel tank cleaning solution. I don't have any experience with it but am just saying I saw it available.
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
            X