No announcement yet.

Yamaha 90 four stroke starter problem?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 four stroke starter problem?!

My Yamaha 2008 4 stroke fuel injected 90 won't start. When I engage the key i get nothing. The battery works fine, I have a crane attached to it to lift oyster cages and its working fine. I noticed yesterday that I had two sets of wires dangling underneath the key area. They were dangling yesterday and had no problems. Go to start it this morning...nothing. Im not looking at it right now, but it was first set of wires green red black, next set green red black yellow, all with green sleeves on the end. I tried connecting them and it worked once but not anymore. Do i need to replace a starter? Did i just rip some wires out? HELP! My lively hood relys on this boat running everyday.

neutral start safety switch would be my guess.
    poptart does not sound like a name for someone that their livelyhood depends on a boat running
    everyone has an opinion

Comment

Not it

Thanks for the response. Although not helpful at all. I am an oyster farmer. Poptart is a nickname I got while hiking the entire 2,175 miles of the Appalachian Trail for 4 months from Georgia to Maine, remember I asking for help, not an opinion from someone who sits on their bum all day. Safety switch, neutral, and start all where it should be. Any other ideas?

Comment

the neutral start switch, start relay, and the ignition switch are the only devices I can think of that will not let starter engage besides wiring and connections. Check them all.
        Lighten up this is just a forum

Comment

Okay does your tilt work? If not check the 30AMP fuse. It is located in one of the fuse blocks, started and tilt are on the same 30 Amp fuse.

If not, and you are sure the battery & cables are good, I'd check the starter relay and then the starter solenoid.

Comment

i seem to have same problem ran boat today and later in eveving there it would not start at all no clicking.30 amp fuse good and battery good , what the heck could it be.

Comment

how do you check that neutral is neutral forward and reverse shifter is in neutral.wont star 30 amp is good battery is good.

Comment

there is nothing wrong with the motor or the starter its just you would have blown some wires in the harness ie. some wires would have burned and not enough power or no power at all causes this it is Yamaha problem since 2004 and until now they haven't fixed it ,sorry to say this fellas but check for continuity in the harness and sort this problem as this is very frustrating ,as Yamaha used some inferior wires in their harness those times and the legacy continues

Comment

i am sure its wires but i dont know where to start, all as all fuses are good i did multi meter test and the glass fuse on this out board is good, this boat ran good all day today and then later i hooked up a pos and neg wire for my radio to the battery and then boom we tried to fire up the boat and nothing happened. one little cable wire the one with the rubber garmet over the end started to smoke.then i checked fuses, i only found one on motor is there more then one fuse there??1993 85 tlrr 2 stroke

Comment

what is it neutral switch.it

new ball **** not no wire that's fried its a bracket that's long and kind of looks like the letter l that's hooks up in 2 places with cotter pins. one place is the long rod from the lower that comes up ..to it and then the linkage that shifts . is this the neutral switch or what.???? took cover off and shifted and this pic should of moved but its broke and didn't.

Comment

quite a few 3 cyl motors had a neutral safety switch mounted on the engine as well as one in the 703 and 704 control boxes.
                      that's because quite a few 3 cyl electric start motors could use the 701 box or tiller which had NO safety start protection like our US govt requires.
                      the engine mounted switch is located on a bracket below and just aft of the bottom carb on the stbd side.
                      if using a control box that has the safety switch the engine switch can be safely and legally bypassed.

Comment

44 688-44118-00-94 this is it broke in half ,but picture part is a little different just hope the right one comes. my bracket holds on by 2 nuts and slides over the rod.and gets tighten by a side bolt attach to this.
                        BRACKET

Comment

Working...
                        X