Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting motor started

Hi Guys,

Trying to start my motor for first time this season. It is a 2000 40HP(model C40TLRY). I am not very good at troubleshooting, but here is some info.

* It will run temporarily if I spray fuel directly into the carbs.
    * I removed the fuel hose to the top carb, and squeezed the bulb, and fuel comes out.
    * Checked the pickup in the fuel tank, and it looks clean.
    * I removed the outlet on the fuel pump, and cranked the motor. Nothing came out, so I assumed it was the fuel pump(vacuum powered). I purchased a new fuel pump and installed it. It didn't change a thing.
    * My safety lanyard is in. I would assume that the engine wouldn't crank when fuel was sprayed directly into the carbs if it wasn't. I am also assuming I have spark for the same reason.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

John

Check your Tank-Hose for any Blockade. If its ok try disassembling, and Cleaning your carbs

Comment

I am clueless on cleaning the carbs. Can you point me to any good how-tos on this subject?

Comment

Clarky40,

I cleaned the carbs on both my engines for the first time after alot of reading. It really was simple, saved time, and more importantly saved money.

Take your time and take pictures of EVERY step of the way and write down things like number of turns to lightly seat the pilot screw for instance and prior to starting, make sure you purchase a new gasket kit and have it in hand before starting to avoid stopping and having to try to restart at a later time when things could be forgotten (this is where pictures come in handy too).

It wouldn't hurt to have a manual to help (I bought a Selco manual after I took down the first carb).

Good luck, and if I can get it done, anyone should be able to get it done.

Comment

40 hp 2 stroke won't start

Have same problem but just had carbs checked, all good, seems like no fuel to carbs. Reading other post could this and yours be prime starter? Checked mine yesterday and wired directly to battery lead no movement but it did get rather warm. I have already checked fuel, fuel line, and bulb. The dealer did put a inline filter on hose from tank to engine. Any help would be appreciated.
          Last edited by Wagner2806; 06-20-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X