Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Pinion fail offshore...

Good day gentlemen,

Yesterday, I had the starter fail on the port engine while out fishing.

When back on the hard, troubleshooting revealed that the pinion was not engaging when the starter rotates. The pinion and shaft spin with gusto but the pinion does not rise to the occasion.

According to the service manual it should freely rotate in one direction and lock in the other, thus elevating into the flywheel ring gear. Starter removed, it appears to rotate CCW with a little finger effort and when turned CW it wants to elevate up to engagement and then lock like I would expect it to.

What resistance is in the design to cause the pinion pop up. Is it just the starter shaft spinning to overcome the inertia of the pinion?

What would the professional technician lubricate this shaft and pinion with, if anything at all.

PS this starter assy appears clean and bright with absolutely no rust or corrosion evident.

LX150TXRY 450hrs aprox
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

i would check voltages and grounds
    did you try it with batts on both ?

Comment

Hey,
      WPB, were neighbors!

Yes, I did give it every last watt I had aboard to try and get her started.
      I removed the pinion and put just the slightest Quicksilver 2-4-C grease to lubricate the shaft and Bendix. I think it was just a combination of it being a little dry and like you suggested, deteriorated power.

Bench testing had her pop right up proud and ready.

It appeared that someone had applied a little adhesive like contact or weatherstrip adhesive to the collar and keeper clips. (3M Monkey Snot) I was wondering if this was common practice that had begun in the field or possible factory practice. I don't hate the idea of it. It sure would suck to loose those keepers if I inadvertently depressed that collar, especially offshore!

Comment

ive never heard of anything put on starter assys but never know...
        sooo did you get it going ?

Comment

*****ing friday....

Hey JB,
          Yeah I got it going this morning. I bench checked the starter and then installed. Additionally, when reconnecting the battery, I found the negative wire all petrified at the battery terminal ring. Seawater corrosion up inside the insulation for several inches.

So we ran out St Lucie inlet this afternoon and dragged some Bally's around for a few hours. No problems this time and also no fish over the gunwales.... So the boats back but my fishin's not.

Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
          X