2001 hpdi 150 fuel issue question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 hpdi 150 fuel issue question

Im still trying to solve an on going proplem and need an explanation as to what exactly happens when I turn the key to start the boat, concerning the flow of fuel from the tank, to the plugs. What I know is that the ball/spring in the elbow fitting comming out the top of the tank has been removed so the gas will flow freely from the tank,up to the fuel/water filter and through the ball, up to that first clear filter on the engine and then up to the vst and then I think the fuel pump delivers it by high pressure to the various fuel injectors...I think. Please no laughing...So I need to know..Can that fuel pump intermitantly fail to pump fuel at all upon an initial dead start ( 3 out of 10 starts ) yet still function totally 100% fine in all other ways and also does the fuel ball have to stay hard ( as it does not ) at all times? When the engine wont start and I check the ball and it is mushy and I pump the ball to semi hardness the engine still wont start though. Also shifting into neutral and jockying the throttle to full and idle while turning the key also barely helps but it does. That is why I am suspecting the fuel pump but I am no mechanic Help Please

After reading more on this, I would like to check the fuel pressure while cranking the engine, exspecially curious to see what it is when the engine wont start. How do I do this and where can I buy the correct gage please.

Thanks

Comment

primer wont stay hard,period.

gauge can be purchased almost anywhere, it uses the small Schrader valve.
      the same size a bicycle tire.
      at key on the medium pressure fuel pump turns on for 3-5 seconds.
      at cranking it may or may not stay on,it should but occasionally wont.

at key on and anytime its running it should maintain 50 PSI.

from the medium pressure pump through an inline filter its sent to the high pressure pump.
      from there the injector driver toggles the injector on time based on ECU inputs.

Comment

Thank you. Perfect. Really. I will buy a guage at autozone and check this out this Sat. You know I could here that pump come on periodically when I keyed just prior to the engine cranking but was uncertain as to what it was!
        I still love this 2 stroke and really want to get it fixed. Will report back Sat.

Comment

Hey..quick question...should that fuel pump come on EVERY time I key on, for those four or five seconds? Im thinking this could possably be something to look for. No pump motor sound at key on may coincide with the no start upon cranking. Thoughts????

THANKS!

Comment

Working...
          X