T9.9 electric-thermal choke valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T9.9 electric-thermal choke valve

My 2001 9.9 hp engine is hard starting and stalls on idle. I believe I have the problem narrowed down to the electric thermal valve mounted on the carburetor. I read that this valve can be tested by applying 12 Volts. After about 3 minutes the plunger moves about 4mm. I tried this and it didn't move, so I bought a new one ($90). I installed it but no success, so I tested the new valve and it also didn't move. Now I'm not sure that this test is correct. Does anyone know more about this? How can I confirm that this device is working properly?

It moves very slowly, take a piston hieght measurement, then connect to 12 volts and several minutes later it should have moved.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

My 2004 9.9 also has the thermal choke setup. My valve moves if I supply 12 volts to the leads. My valve moves out about a quarter of an inch. You can see the center portion of the valve with the needle attached move out from the center of the valve. You should feel the valve get warmer.

I have also replaced my valve thinking it was bad after checking it but after buying the new one they both work the same, so I now have a spare.
      I think the way the valve works is when cold it is raised up from the choke circuit and enriches the fuel flow, as it heats up the needle extends and closed off the choke circuit. They seem to have removed this valve on the 2005 and later motors, didn't workout maybe.

Comment

Working...
      X