Carb Cleaner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Cleaner?

Can any one tell me if carb cleaner helps? I am talking about the type you spray into the inlet when the motor is running, if so is it availablein the UK.I have seent reports of it sorting out dirty carbs.

very doubtful at the chems need to go THRU the carb , not thru the throat into intake. dont cheat your motor of the mix it deserves....break them down.

Comment

You would do better to get the pour in can of carb cleaner (Berryman's Chemtool) and pour it into the fuel filter and let it run through the inside workings of the carbs. Sometimes they're just too clogged up and need to be torn down and gone through.

Mike

Comment

Clive,
        If you suspect clogged carbs (gum and varnish), I would first do a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree. If that does not do the trick, then remove the jets of the carbs and squirt carb cleaner (Berryman's Chemtool) into the orifices. Inspect the ends of the jets, and replace any split or distorted o-rings.
        If the above does not take care of the clogged carb problem, then it is time for removal, teardown, cleaning, and carb kit install.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken, the problem is when I start the 3.5 Ac I have to give it a good shake or else it wont rev up I think there is dirt in one if the jets is that foam you mentioned available in the Uk? I cleaned the fuel tank and jets a while ago it it worked ok but it must have picked up a bit of dirt again I was looking for a fast cure.

Comment

Clive,
            I don't know if SeaFoam is available where you are - go to www.seafoamsales.com and check them out.
            If you can't get SeaFoam, you can use Yamaha RingFree to do a shock treatment.
            Neither one will dissolve dirt/trash - but pulling the jets and squirting a carb cleaner like Berryman's Chemtool might do the trick.
            Ken K

Comment

Many thanks Ken, I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Clive.

Comment

Hi Ken.

I had alook at the site it sounds exellent, I have sent them an email to ask if its available in the UK. I did a search but cant find any info on it over here.I dont htink there is any thing like it available the only thing I can think of is REDX

Clive.

Comment

Hi, I've an old 3.5A, which has a similar problem i.e. you need the choke out for it to run on idle. I've adjusted the mixture which has improved things, but i think the jets might be blocked. Simple question where do i look for them, and how do i go about removing them to clean them?

Comment

Hi Tim.

You can get a carb service kit from a comany in Holland it costs 44 Euros I am thinking about getting one my self if you want the address email me at clive.harrison1@ntlworld.com I have bought parts for the other motor off them they are exellent and the prices ar good. I also have a service manual for my 3.5 so if you want any part numbers let me know

Comment

Tim,
                      Sounds like Clive may be able to help you.
                      You need to get yourself a shop manual if possible. All carbs are different, but in general the low speed mixture adjustment is towards the top of the carb, and the high speed is near the bottom of the bowl. The low speed adj screw will have a spring under the head - before you remove it be sure and turn it in clockwise to see how many turns out it is (if you don't have a manual).
                      The high speed jet is going to be under a brass hex head plug near the bottom of the carb - could be directly under the bowl or to the side of it.
                      Again, you need a shop manual - try going to the online catalog (above) and look at the diagram for the motor that is closest to the one you have, both in year and hp. Maybe that will give you a better idea of where the jets are.
                      Ken K

Comment

Cheers guys. I did look at the online manuals, but I'm certain my 3.5A is pre-84. i'll keep you posted as to how things go.

Tim

Comment

I almost forgot, wheres the best place to get a manual? and how do i work out how old my outboard is to ensure i get the right one?

Cheers again
                          Tim

Comment

Tim,
                            Check with Clive (above) - he says he has a manual for the 3.5 .
                            Check the directory and look up "Colossus" and PM him - he has a data base that can cross reference your serial number and give you the year.
                            Ken K

Comment

good evening guy

I love this sight it helps big time
                              I have a 96 200 if the boat sits to long my carb gets messed up it cost me 250 every time they do the jets. i wish i could do it.
                              does the manual show that ????
                              richardr

Comment

Working...
                              X