Yamaha Power Trim/Tilt Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Power Trim/Tilt Problem

Hello to all, my 2003 F225 had a serious leak from the top of the trim/tilt unit. After removing the gland nut on the tilt piston, I pulled the piston from the cylinder, removed the torx screw on the bottom of the piston, removed all springs/pins and balls from the piston sub-assembly. I unscrewed the sub-assembly from the shaft and slid off the gland nut with the bad seal. I replaced all the o-rings, back up rings, seal and the gland nut and reassembled all parts. After installing the unit on the motor I followed bleeding instructions I found on a search. Now my motor tilts up fine but does not retract all the way down, tight to the transom. The 2 trim rods retract but the motor doesn't go all the way down. I must have cycled it 50 times verifying that the reservoir is full of Yamaha fluid. This unit is supposed to be self bleeding. Am I missing something here? BTW the motor tucks in when I crack open the release screw so there is nothing mechanical holding it. Has anyone encounter this problem before?

You probably have air between the free piston and the sub assembly, raise it all the way up as far as it will go. open the manual valve and let it down slowly all the way, close the manual valve and push the down switch, make the pump suck all the air out. then try to operate it normally.. hope this helps..

Comment

Thanks for tip Sequoiha. I will try as soon as I get a chance. I can hear the pumps' pitch change, like its sucking air, right before the trim rods start to retract. Do you know why do they put a roll pin with a ball in the sub assembly? I removed it not knowing how to take it apart.

Comment

I tried what Sequoia suggested, waiting 5 minutes between steps and I still have the same problem. I agree that there is probably air trapped between the sub assembly and the free piston. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Comment

are you over filling the resevior? should not be filled with engine up

Comment

The reservoir is at the proper level with the engine up, all pistons extended. I am leaning towards the roll pin/ ball not seating in sub-assembly. Would that create my problem?

Comment

Working...
            X