1993 130hp hesitating at take off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 130hp hesitating at take off

I have a 1993 130hp 2 cycle that I just took off of another boat and put on mine. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. I also rebuilt all 4 carbs. I got it idling great. Couple of issues I would like some advice on. It is hard to start and takes awhile cranking. Almost like it is not getting enough fuel but the bulb is hard. Also when I give it throttle it seams to hesitate for a second or two and then picks up RPMs and runs like a bat out of hell. No missing or nothing. I ran it for at least 20 minutes with no problem but when I pulled it down to go through a no wake zone it almost sounded like it was not running on all cylinders. When I would give it gas it would do the same thing. Hesitate then run just great once it picks up RPM's. Almost seams like the spark is not advancing fast enough to handle the increase in fuel. What is the adjustment for that? Got manual on order just wanted to see what someone had to say. Plugs looked good but can that be an issue if it runs so good once it gets going?

I am also turning 5900 RPM's at WOT. Seams a little high to me. I think that I need to get that down closer 5300 to 5500. This should not be the issue at take off should it? If anything I would think that it would get the boat on plane faster.

thanks,
    GLS

timing advance is mechanically con*****ed.
    sounds like you still have a fuel issue.

Comment

had the same issue, the timing linkage was out of measurement to the carb. Get a factory service manual. Also, the book says to adjust the idle screws at 5/8-3/4 turn out. Had yama tech say to adjust to 2 turns out. I set them at
      1-1/2 turns out. That helped on starting too.

Comment

Originally posted by pappastratos View Post
        had the same issue, the timing linkage was out of measurement to the carb. Get a factory service manual. Also, the book says to adjust the idle screws at 5/8-3/4 turn out. Had yama tech say to adjust to 2 turns out. I set them at
        1-1/2 turns out. That helped on starting too.
        is there a factory service manual in line ? and valid for the130 HP 2003 model ?

Comment

1993 130hp hesitating at take off...

Hi GLS,
          I had a similar symptom with my 130 BETO hesitating on take off and it seemed as if two cylenders were not firing. Rodbolt and Yam99 helped me to sort it out. My fuel pump diaphragm was torn, resulting in way too much fuel getting to the motor as fuel was being sucked through into the intake from the pump. I obtained the necessary diaphragms and gaskets, stripped the pump and fitted said parts, refitted the pump and she then ran like a new motor.
          Check out my threads!
          Good luck!
          There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
          Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

Comment

Working...
          X