2000 c90try waterpump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 c90try waterpump

Hi , I just purchased a 2000 model 17 ft. Boston Whaler with a 90 hp Yamaha 2 cycle, I've only ran this engine for a one hour trial and it runs great! My question is should I change the water pump , this engine has spent most of its life in storage.

M19,
    As long as you are getting good water pressure and no alarms going off to indicate an overheat condition, "don't worry 'bout it" [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    Most owners change out the water pump on an average, I would guess, about every three years - depending on use, of course. Since your Yammie has few hours, it probably can go another year or two before water pump repair.
    You might consider adding a water temp gauge, or better yet, a water pressure gauge to monitor the performance of the pump.
    Plugged into the head of your motor is a device called a thermo switch. It has a bi-metallic strip in it that "bends" when heated - and on the ends of the strip are contacts that will close at around 180 degrees and signal the CDI that an overheat condition exists. The alarm will sound, and a few seconds later the CDI will go into an rpm reduction mode by cutting back on the spark - the motor will drop dramatically in rpm and shake like it's hitting on one cylinder.
    That's a wakeup call that SOMETHING IS WRONG.
    Ok, I've already told you more than you wanted to know, so I'm gonna shut up now [img]smile.gif[/img] .
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X