Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***NEW*** Trick I discovered for Yamaha Stuck Powerhead Removal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***NEW*** Trick I discovered for Yamaha Stuck Powerhead Removal....

After reading numerous post on Yamaha's powerhead removal and the nightmares others encountered I tried something a lil different and had AMAZING results. My motor is a 1988 Yamaha 225 Excel and according to others it is notorious for the 6 midsection long bolts to get corroded and breaking during removal. Well like most everyone else I broke 3 of the 6. And for clarity there are 6 bolts on the sides, 2 in rear , 4 in front under intake (2 of these have nuts on them)..Dont worry if the long bolts do not come out or get broken..all you have to do is drill thru exhaust guide adapter from the side at or near the top. Once you are sure you have all the bolts out or sheared and drilled,its time to separate the midsection from the powerhead..more than likely it will need some "Mechanical Agitation" or a BFH...Big F%#*$%^ Hammer..Well I beat,banged and heated but to no avail so I took a trip to Northern Tools and purchased a Torin 10 ton hydraulic pump and a hydraulic spreader (Porta-Power). On the back side of the power head there is a about a 1/2 inch lip where you can get a good bite from the spreader....it fits in there like a charm..I pumped and applied heat and finally it popped loose...but although the seal was cracked I still had to drill out one of the side bolts because it was holding it up...Invest in one of these pumps because it was well worth every penny...BTW I paid $79 for the whole set-up..Here are a few pics of my method in action...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Truviking; 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM.

picture shows you lossened a wrong bolt.
    best trick is to drill a hole 90* to the bolt,shearing the bolt, just below the adaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      picture shows you lossened a wrong bolt.
      best trick is to drill a hole 90* to the bolt,shearing the bolt, just below the adaptor.
      That's exactly what I did rodbolt..I only unloosened those bolts shown in the pic because in the beginning I thought I could separate the midsection from the adapter plate...Lesson learned after reading all the helpful information found here..

Comment

another drilling trick?
        use a bullit point style bit.
        I use the bits from Dewalt.
        they cut a lot flatter and wont walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Truviking View Post
          After reading numerous post on Yamaha's powerhead removal and the nightmares others encountered I tried something a lil different and had AMAZING results. My motor is a 1988 Yamaha 225 Excel and according to others it is notorious for the 6 midsection long bolts to get corroded and breaking during removal. Well like most everyone else I broke 3 of the 6. And for clarity there are 6 bolts on the sides, 2 in rear , 4 in front under intake (2 of these have nuts on them)..Dont worry if the long bolts do not come out or get broken..all you have to do is drill thru exhaust guide adapter from the side at or near the top. Once you are sure you have all the bolts out or sheared and drilled,its time to separate the midsection from the powerhead..more than likely it will need some "Mechanical Agitation" or a BFH...Big F%#*$%^ Hammer..Well I beat,banged and heated but to no avail so I took a trip to Northern Tools and purchased a Torin 10 ton hydraulic pump and a hydraulic spreader (Porta-Power). On the back side of the power head there is a about a 1/2 inch lip where you can get a good bite from the spreader....it fits in there like a charm..I pumped and applied heat and finally it popped loose...but although the seal was cracked I still had to drill out one of the side bolts because it was holding it up...Invest in one of these pumps because it was well worth every penny...BTW I paid $79 for the whole set-up..Here are a few pics of my method in action...

Dude, thanks for your post. I spent hours trying to free my PH and nothing was working.

Jumped on the net to see what others had done and found your post, this remined me that I had a set of them and 30mins later it was off.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by yam2x150 View Post
            Dude, thanks for your post. I spent hours trying to free my PH and nothing was working.

Jumped on the net to see what others had done and found your post, this remined me that I had a set of them and 30mins later it was off.

Cheers
            Glad it worked for you...

Comment

That was TWO YEARS ago!
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X