2005 F115 strange noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F115 strange noise

when engine is warm only. in neutral or in gear when i kick it up any higher than dead idle. intermitent at idle neutral or at lowest rpms in gear. no noise when cold. engine performance is fine. the only sound i can equate it to is squeaky belts on your car when wet. less than 50 hours on motor. thanks a million for any suggestions!!

There is a belt on top of the engine. It should still be under warranty, you might take it to a Yamaha dealer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

fisingtvn,
      This "squeaking" on the F115 has been discussed somewhat on another forum where I am a member, but I did not pay much attention to it.
      Go to www.maverickboats.com and link over to the message board. This is a forum for Maverick-Hewes-Pathfinder boat owners, but others are welcome to browse. Do a search on your motor and symptoms, and you may learn from others' experiences with the same motor.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

thanks alot guys i'll check it out!!

Comment

i checked ou the site recommended by ken and it was very informative. seems like the squeak is the belt and a little lube will fix it. it is not harmful to the engine just annoying. thanks alot ken! you have eased my worrying mind!

Comment

Sounds like I have the same problem....sounds like a loose belt on an old car. Doesn't start until things warm up and then mostly at 2000 rpm and above. Woried that this was a real bad sign of something wrong but now just concerned the belt may wear fast and break ???

You said a "little lube" will fix???? or did you mean to say some "belt dressing" ???? Where do I LUBE to get rid of this annoying but not a problem noise ???

Engine is still under warranty (4 more months) but getting a mechanic to look at this is a problem where I am located.

Comment

Well I didn't get a reply advising me where to apply the lube so I removed the plastic hood exposing the flywheel, belt, etc from the top of this engine. The belt is a cog style belt so no slipping problem here. There is a small idler pulley (spring loaded) keeping tension on this belt. I noticed a little corrosion in the center of this idler pulley so I applied a small amount of light oil to see if that stopped the noise. So far so good..went for a 6 hour run today and no noise at any speed or at any time. Still don't know if this is the correct place to apply the lube but so far it seems to have worked. Any comments/corrections would be appreciated.

Thanks Captain Bob

Comment

Capt.Bob,
                Thanks for the update - since I am not familiar with the 4-strokes, I could not help you with your previous post. But I wanted to pass along something I came across on the maverickboats.com forum today concerning "squeaking" sounds on the Yamaha 4-strokes.
                There is another source of squeaking besides the belts. Just below the bottom of the power head the drive shaft has a rubber boot around it.
                Evidently on some of the models, after the motor warms up, the friction between the drive shaft and this boot causes a "squeaking" noise. I believe you can see the drive shaft by looking at the front of the motor and with it turned a little to the left or right. Squirt some lubricant where you see the drive shaft at the top of the boot. Corrosion-X was mentioned on the other forum, but I would try a silicone based spray lubricant first - metal rubbing against rubber.
                Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken,

I found this spot. I am now applying silicone spray lube to both the idler pulley and this spot. Only time will tell if this works.
                  Thanks again for your help !

Captain Bob http://home.comcast.net/~captainbob7/tuna.htm

Comment

The belt squeek type noise you are hearing is NOT a belt. It's a wiper seal in the leg of the engine. It's nothing to worry about and will not cause any damage to the engine. If you look under the front of the cowling, you'll see an opening where you can see the drive shaft as it comes out of the engine block and down to the lower unit. My F225's had the same noise. I sprayed the shaft while turning and it silenced the squeal. Here's a link to a picture I took of the exact location.

http://members.cox.net/jrfluke/shaft1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X