2002 200hp ox66 lower unit leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 200hp ox66 lower unit leaking

My 200hp 2002 ox66 saltwater series lower is switching from leaking gear oil or water out of the small water intake that is recessed above and just forward of the water intake. It is on the starboard side of engine and it is not shown on photos in the seloc manual ? Prop is off no line around shaft. I have had engine since 2007 and have never warpped line around shaft. Is this small recess and hole a water intake ? The speedometer hose is not connected or has a pinch somewhere as speedo does not work. But that was done last season when changing impeller. And this has just happened last 2 times out. I changed gear oil when I noticed oil comming out, nno water or milky look. 2nd time after 1 hour in water I drained it and lube was very light white and tased of salt!! Yea I tasted it !! water pickup for speedo should not matter or let water in gearcase. Before I drop lower am I looking only for A ,propshaft seal
    B 2o-rings drain and fill screws
    C driveshaft seal
    D shiftshaft seal

Or is there more replaceable seal to look at?
    Thanks ya`ll

pressure test like the service manual calls for to find where the problems is..

Can not even think of what the gear oil tastes like with the way it smells to start out with. It stinks bad, so what does it taste like besides salty

Comment

If you had no water in the LU when you drained it and now have it after you filled it, sounds like you may not have the drain & fill screws in tight OR you're reusing the same gaskets.
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

salt taste in lube

I was wrong in first post. The reason I tasted lube was to see if salt was present. As there was no discoloration in drained fluid. Was salt slightly. After refilling and using new O-rings on fill and drain screws, lube was very light in color when drained. I am going to pull lower off to change impeller and housing, Will put pressure/vacumn pump on to see if she leaks down. Still does anyone know the purpose of hole and recess in case above and slightly forward of water pick-up inlet ? as I said it is not in any picture in Seloc manual or any I find on-line ? This is only spot water or lube come out from. Small holes above in horizontal fins on lower unit are low water pick-ups. So says the manual, but they are above the recessed hole and primary water pick-up is below recess hole. So I don`t think recess hole could be "low" water pick-up. Can`t wait to see what is behind the mystery hole!

Comment

its a water pump cavity drain.
          if oil is coming out of it either the shift shaft seal or drive shaft seals are leaking.

Comment

Working...
          X