No announcement yet.

250 yam hi speed cut-out. (salt water)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 yam hi speed cut-out. (salt water)

This is a 2001 turz efi 2stroke ,but the powerhead is 2004 with 78 hrs on it as of now. This engine sits from April 1 to Nov.1 with a full tank of gas(I'm told it cuts down on condensation in main tank with stabil conditioner).new water/separator, The fuel was drained halfway and replaced with fresh gas for the first trip out,and 15 miles out engine at 4000 rpm quit,restarted and went a mile further with no problem with higher rpm ,went home at 4300 rpm and no problem,next two trips no problem.Yesterday 25 miles out ,running great at 4200rpm ,engine quits with no stuttering,but restarts instantly. Changed water/separator in boat and dumped under engine cover filter with floating red ring that was up as high as it would go while on the water and the engine still cut out after one minute of high rpm .No warning horns but did notice slight speed reduction prior to shut down. Came back at 3000 rpm and not a cut off,run smooth but not on plane. any ideas appreciated

If the red ring in fuel filter was floating high in filter bowl then it has water in fuel, the red ring is a water float to let you know if water is in filter. If water is in fuel need to drain fuel vapor separator tank, change or install fuel/water separator filter in boat and flush fuel lines, filters and vapor tank until get all water out of system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank's for your reply and here is where I'm at now .....I took the brass screw out of the vst tank on the engine and fuel looked great with no contaminents ,but just to make sure, checked filter inside and it was clean. So I'm sure your thoughts are right with too much water in the system ,but the history of the hours on the engine has been half hour trips one way,but since I've been doing hour and a half one way ,the problem arises towards the end of the run. Not to insult your integrity but I called a 5 star rated yamaha mechanic whom I know casually a hundred miles from here and he had a quick comeback with a "system relay" for the solution and he also said he's only had four with that kind of problem .Sitting on the water hose at home I got 35 lbs pressure at fuel rail. This "system relay" is 200 bucks and i don't think there is a way to check it if it fails intermittently ......any thoughts? thanks

Comment

I put the "system relay" in and took the boat out for several hours and no problems so I'm really not sure if it was water or the relay .The relay is in the plus battery suppy right after a 30 amp and 80 amp fuse in the junction box .Thanks for the opportunity to post.

Comment

I have the same problum, I posted for help. Can you check your private messages

Comment

Paul,
            Do you have the same problem as "bernie"?
            Completely dying, and then resarts easily?
            Or is your motor "cutting out" for 1-2 secs and then coming back on by itself ?
            Ken K

Comment

cuts out then comes back on its own.

Comment

Working...
              X