Tilt & Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt & Trim

I'm new to the forum and have a question. I have 40TLHU and my motor will raise, but not lower with my Trim & tilt switch on the motor and in the boat.
    I can lower the motor with the manual valve on the side of the motor. any ideas?

does the trim motor run when down is selected at either switch?

Comment

No the motor only runs going up. You can hear a click when you press the switch to go down.

Comment

Sounds like the T&T relay is not making good contact on the + or the - so the motor does not run

Comment

I will check that out.

Comment

Can you explain where the Tilt and Trim relay is located?

Comment

follow the T&T motor leads to the relay

Comment

if it clicks for down and runs for up the control circuits are ok,the trim motor is ok.
                about all that's left is the relay.
                should be buried just under the electrical panal on the stbd side lower pan.

Comment

I followed the leads and found the Trim & Tilt relay. The blue wire seems to be for down. When I check from blue to ground and press the manual switch on the motor the unit goes down as normal. Does this mean there is break in the wire somewhere?

Comment

12vpositive on the blue wire is up, 12V positive on the green wire is down.
                    whichever wire does not have a positive applied becomes the ground path.
                    at rest BOTH trim motor wires are taken to ground.
                    the control circuit selects which contactor to move.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      12vpositive on the blue wire is up, 12V positive on the green wire is down.
                      whichever wire does not have a positive applied becomes the ground path.
                      at rest BOTH trim motor wires are taken to ground.
                      the control circuit selects which contactor to move.
                      I checked all wiring and it seems to be OK. I tapped the relay with a small wrench and then the switch worked for a couple of times. Tried it again and after a couple of taps it worked again. It seems as though the contacts inside the relay are possibly corroded. It is possible to take the relay apart or is my best bet to buy a new one?

Comment

get a new one.

You might get it apart, but not sure I would trust getting it back together and sealed up

Comment

Bought one today.

Comment

Working...
                          X