Seachord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seachord

I have twin 1991 2 cycle 200 TXRP. Over winter I removed block to replace rusted steering arm. Did on other eng 3 yrs ago and it went well. This eng when I start it - it runs fine. BUT The digital gauge is acting funny.
    a) The oil level indicator sometimes after startup flashing, reads flashing red other times reads solid yellow, never green. Oil is full. sennsor float moves easily
    b) The tach showed "0" then started reading. Last time read rpm with shift in neutral then "0" when I increased throttle (not in gear)
    c) Trim pot indicator bars start low then increase all the way up then the indicator goes black. Tested with meter and it works.
    d) sometimes the alarm stops other times it won't stop.
    The speed / temp / fuel gauge is also off this engine and the temp gauge circuit also gets feed from the good engine
    Checked & rechecked grounds, wire plugs, Batt reads 12.32 vdc. At engine reading + lead to carb - also read 12.32 vdc. So block is grounded. I have wiring circuit. I suspect the main harness plug at eng since it was outside but wrapped in plastic over the winter. What would yu do to clean its contacts?
    I am stumped !
    Last edited by WClery; 05-26-2013, 08:05 AM.

Sounds like like have a problem in Trim/Oil harness(off white colored square connector harness) between engine and gauges.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks
      I am going to ring out the engine harness and will really clean the main plugs where the engine harness connects (in the engine) to the wires going to the driver location. I suspect them since they were unconnected outside all winter. I had them (plugs) in a taped zip lock bag but high humidity could have degraded them. I know it's something simple.
      Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
      X