2003 yamaha 60 high thrust not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 yamaha 60 high thrust not starting

Hello all, I have a 2003 yamaha 60 high thrust that is not starting. I have never had any problems with this motor. I have checked both batteries and they tested at 12.8 volts, I did a load test on them and they both passed. I took the starter apart thinking it might need brushes but they looked great so I cleaned and reinstalled it. I am thinking it might be the starter solenoid but don"t want to start throwing money at it until I am sure what the problem is. If any one has any input to what it might be I would be greatful for the help.

locked up power head,
    locked up lower unit,
    bad battery cable,
    bad cable connection,
    Bad start relay

ARE ALL OF THE THINGS i CAN THINK OF RIGHT OFF THE BAT, IF BATTERIES ARE GOOD.

sorry for the caps, but I am not retyping

Comment

I will check the battery cable.

Comment

cables and lugs are in great shape.

Comment

looking at these things does not help you need to be testing things

Comment

Can you clarify, is it cranking but not firing? Or is it doing nothing when you turn the key to start? If the latter, you need to verify that your key switch and associated parts on the remote control are good.

Comment

Power head and lower unit are free spinning.Both battery cables ohmed out at .1 ohms. I swapped the started solenoid with one from another yamaha I have and still had the same problem. The battery connections are clean and tight. If the starter does spin the motor it will start and run great. When I turn the key the starter will turn the flywheel 1/4 to a 1/2 turn but thats all.

Comment

Voltage measurements while under load ( voltage drop)at battery, at starter, and in between should show where problem is if the motor turns freely by hand but not with starter and there is a problem other than starter itself.
                If all you have said is true it sounds like a bad starter.
                might take it to starter repair shop and have them check it out, windings or armature can short

Comment

So the starter is now working properly. I lubed the bendix shaft and reinstalled the starter and it now spins no problem every time. Thanks to everyone for the help with this problem.

Comment

lack of lube on Bendix shaft would not have caused starter to not turn motor properly, but good to here you are up and going OK

Comment

Working...
                    X