1989' Yamaha 115 pilot screws 3 1/2 turns out to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989' Yamaha 115 pilot screws 3 1/2 turns out to run

I, have a question on the TeiKei single float carbs, the motor runs great lots of power, smooth idle, great hole shots, but why do the carb pilot screws have to be 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 turns out? any less and it acts up, I, even totally rebuilt and sonic cleaned them, check all the electronics and did a link and sync, compression is good, new fuel pump, motor runs great, but set them to factory specs at 1 1/2 and forget it, is this something I, should look into farther? Thanks for any suggestions.

Either plugged low soeed jets or passages in carbs or an air leak on intake manifold or crankcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the new ideas to check out I, know its not the carbs they were sonic cleaned twice and rebuilt, but I, will strip off the intake and check out the crank case for leaks and post whatever I, find out

Comment

Have you checked the cylinderhead temperatures at idle to see if the thermostats and cooling system are operating correctly?

Sometimes a couple of decarbonizing treatments with Combustion Cleaner will help the idle by freeing up any lightly stuck rings.

Has the compression been checked and verified and has the carburetor linkage and synchronization been performed?
        Last edited by seahorse5; 06-01-2013, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Thanks for zll the suggestions guys, the engine temps are fine I, have done link and sync, compression is good, went through the entire electrical system with an ohm meter checked every detail, the motor will run like a scalded dog, starts right up, but the idle is a little rough but other than that it runs great, I, just cannot figure out why the pilot screws have to be 3 1/2 turns out to run any less and it sneezes and coughs then dies, but an update,,, I, just sprayed non flameable brake cleaner on the intake and crankcase gaskets to see if the idle changes, have found it to stumble when spraying the intake gasket on the port side, could this small of a leak cause that much problem with fuel adjustments?

Comment

Working...
          X