Ethanol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol

I live in the Monterey bay ca. area and a mobile tech of many years.. I have yet to "Dip" a gas tank this season and not found WATER !! started last year and now its a crisis !! Yikes !! and you can not get non ETH Gas except at a airport...last week had a no start and the carbs were full of gas... full blown BULL SH_T!! as a tech and U.S.C.G captain that runs a small (18.5) caterman with twin 75hp two strkers (yeehaa) I have to deal with this issue daily...there is no known additive todate that will correct this major issue...mercury marine sell's a "sock" that you can install thru the sending unit and go cruise around and get the blog (phase separation) of water out of your tank..so far that's the only answer, short of completely draning your tanks... and last season had two boats with portable tanks that had water in them and the owners swore up and down that they had drained and cleaned the tanks 2 months before !!! I have a mercury TSB telling the calif. dealers that the gas here can/will go bad in 15 days....holy sh-t !!!! rebilding carbs and cleaning VST daily !!!

the fuel left over after phase separation is too low of octane to be running in these motors even if you can remove the separated water/ethanol that phased out, so best to drain the tanks and get rid of it. Fill back up with fresh

Comment

As much as I hate to, I spend the extra dollar for non eth....drained tank , filters and vst too many times

But I at least have a few stations that sell it....

Comment

bad gas

I live in calif ,where you cannot get real gas ( non ethanol) and its rearing its ugly head in boats BIGTIME !!

Comment

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
          I live in calif ,where you cannot get real gas ( non ethanol) and its rearing its ugly head in boats BIGTIME !!
          Same here were I live on Texas coast, but have seen other places in Tx as having a couple of non ethanol stations listed.
          What a pain.
          Just wait till they force even higher % of ethanol and keep subsidizing the production of it with our tax dollars even though it costs more in fuel consumption to produce it than just using the plain gas in the 1st place

Comment

Hey guys,

After reading this, I began a google hunt and found some water sorb socks.

I also found pure-gas.org it is a private website dedicated to listing the available non alcoholic gasoline. Look in your area and maybe that neighborhood station that we drive by regularly maybe a place that has it.

Additionally, if you know of a place and its not listed, take a moment and submit them.

I am not affiliated with pure-gas and am promoting it as a convenience to our community.
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

now that you have the E fuel boondoggle, also known as the US gubbermint marine technician stimulous program, let the ****s began.

I have at the shop a 4 yr old regulator with twin F250 Yamaha outboards.
              E fuels took it out.
              the type 1A e fuel compliant fuel lines are failing.
              as the inner liner dissolved its filled the VST's with mookies.

so far only a lift pump and a section of fuel line.
              however the rest are failing and will require replacement soon.

I figure about 6 hours at 90/hr and probably 30ft of type 1A fuel line at about 3 bucks a foot.

not bad for a 4 yr old boat.

Comment

Working...
              X