Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Saltwater Motor Life

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a used boat in the very near future, and I was wondering if anyone had an oppinions about how many hours on a used motor is "too many" to be considered useable. I understand that this question is somewhat subjective, but I found a used boat with a 150 (2002) and the guy says it's got about 400 hours on it. That sounds like it's been used a heck-of-a-lot!
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Jeff,
    It that Yammie has been taken care of, she has a lot more hours left in her. I have a 2000 model 115, and I would guess that I have around 300-400 hours. I have taken good care of the motor, and it still runs like it is brand new.
    I would advise that you have a qualified mechanic check out the motor for you - do a compression test and check the lower unit for signs of water intrusion and a bent prop shaft.
    Take the boat for a spin and make sure it starts easily, idles smooth, and responds well to full throttle, and does not overheat wide open.
    Get yourself a Yamaha shop manual so that you can do your own routine maintenance - and if you are so inclined, you could do even more serious repair if need be.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Hey jbb1073,

What Ken said

It really does not matter how many hours are on the motor. What does matter is how well it was taken care of.

Comment

i still run a `89 pro-v for the last 13 yrs.... care to run it ?? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, jb, how many hours would you guess you have on that '89 Yammie?
          Ken K

Comment

Now Ken,

Guessing how many hours are on an outboard is almost as bad as not having a manual

Gotcha

Comment

now theres a question....i have no clue..used to ski with it bout 3 times a week...and i got it when it was 4 yrs old. its bulletproof..finally had to replace a lower unit and a oil control unit but simply bulletproof.

Comment

C'mon, guys, "guestimating" how many hours you have put on your outboard is not that difficult - estimating avg trips per week times 4 times 12 times the avg hours per trip times the number of years you have had the motor........ok, ok, you win - I'll put an "hour meter" on my list of THINGS TO DO!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                Ken K

Comment

I am running two 1986 150's which still run great. I want to buy new hondas but wont until they die. I have been on hold, waiting for a reason for the last two years. No problems in the last two years at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X