Hydralic steering - 250 HPDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydralic steering - 250 HPDI

I just replaced the 200 Mercury on my bay boat with a 2003 HPDI (Z250TXRB). The boat has SeaStar hydralic steering. The hydralic steering cylinder does not bolt up on the Yamaha to allow full tilt. It sits more or less under the front of the motor and binds against the transom before motor reaches full tilt.

While searching for the correct cylinder a couple of suppliers said I need cylinder No. 5358 while others say I need No. 5345. I think the one I have is No. 5345 but I'm not sure. Now the guy I spoke to at Boats.net told me there is a retrofit kit to adapt the cylinder I have to the Yamaha motor but didn't know the part no. etc.

I would sure appreciate any knowledgable advice on this. If there is a retrofit kit where can I buy one? If not, what is the correct part no. for the cylinder that will work on the Yamaha?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Nine Shots; 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM.

Suggest you go directly to Teleflex Marine Technical Services with your question: Try Marc at info@teleflex.bc.ca - he has provided me with excellent advice and I have found the replies are prompt - within a day. I have the 5345 on my 2011 F150 but these are different motors so I would not be surprised if the cylinder spec or setup is different.

Ray

Comment

the 5345 is an incorrect part number for the yamaha.
      look at the installation drawings to make sure your bolting the plate on the correct side of the tiller.
      the difference between the 5345 and 5348 is the plate is flipped.

Comment

Still suggest you call Teleflex Tech Services - perhaps the the selection guide will help if you look at it first

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...1-16-LoRes.pdf

It shows the 5345 for your engine. The 5348 is listed for smaller Yamaha engines and requires a spacer kit. Also, for some larger engines there are notes in the selection guide that an HC 5358 may be substituted but there may be interference with the engine in full tilt position - exactly the problem you report.

Tech Service was very helpful and the parts list they recommended bolted up and work properly.

Comment

sorry about the typo.
          its a 5358 NOT a 48.
          the only difference is how the plate mounts.
          teleflex Does not reccomend removing it but it can and has been done.
          even with the correct cylinder it must be installed as per the drawing or it hits the cyl against the transome mounting bolts.

you can call Marc at teleflex, great guys to work with.
          this issue started in 2000 with a bracket/trim change on the the yamaha desighn.
          you wont believe how many brand new hulls were rigged incorrectly that I had to either remount the correct cylinder or replace the cylinder due to a wrong part number.

carefully use the installation drawings as some cylinders mount above the tiller and some below.
          thats what pictures and footnotes are for.

Comment

thanks for the info. I sent an email to Marc at teleflex friday but no reply yet. Meanwhile I'll check out the installation drawings you suggested. I'll let you know the final solution.

Comment

Working...
            X