Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 40 ETLJ 1986 - no water to top end...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 40 ETLJ 1986 - no water to top end...

Hi and thanks for checking out my posting.
    New to the group and am happy to have found the page!

I have a 1986 Yamaha 40 ETLJ and it sat for a little while between the last uses. I started it up to check things out before taking it out last week and there's no water peeing out of the top end.

I replaced the impeller. No change

Also, I took out the thermostat. THere was some crud and I cleaned it out. Tested again but still no change. I heated the thermostat in a bowl of water. It opened quickly.

I shot air up from the bottom to where the thermostat goes and it flows nicely. Also, I shot water through the passages.

I checked the small rubber pee hose and that is clear.

I am thinking I have an obstruction?

Any advice is appreciated!
    THanks again

Check water pump housing to see if melted, when have lower unit off connect water hose to water tube on motor to see if get water to engine.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

mate i will be opening the exhaust panel and cleaning the maze of channels that there as one small debris will be stopping the water flow common problem for engines that dont run often ,no big drama
      cheers

Comment

On the block where the rubber pee hose attaches to the block is a cast-on nipple that comes from the water jacket surrounding the block. A small bit of scale or trash from inside the water jacket will lodge itself against the opening (on the inside) preventing water from exiting the water housing into the pee tube.

Remove the rubber pee-tube from the block fitting, insert a small wire or twist an appropriate size drill-bit into the opening. You will likely feel the obstruction and push through it with the tool you are using. That's it...and it will be fixed.

Comment

OK, thanks for the advice.

Finally got a chance to work on the boat for a few hours today and here's where Im at.
          Removed thermostat cover and thermostat and ran the motor with earmuffs. Water came out of the top. Water pump seems ok.

Bought "Salt Away" product and ran is (as directed in the instructions) for just :30 secs. It says to repeat every 24 hours for removing big deposits.

Followed your advice and put a small wire up where the pee hose attaches. I felt it push through several spots but only got in about 10 cm.

Ran the motor again and there's a small trickle of water coming from the pee hose! Its an improvement (about 20% of the force it should be), but not fixed.

Im a little intimidated removing the exhaust panel cover but I think that's where the obstruction is. Should I: Keep trying the salt away, take the cover off myself, or call it quits and call a pro?

thanks!

Comment

might try compressed air to blow up the tell tail to see if that will move something around

Comment

ok heres another update.
              I removed the themostat cover and thermostat and put regular houehold vinegar into the openings. I had to use a straw to get it down and into the motor without spilling out.

Then I tried another round of salt away and let it run for a few minutes. I hooked the hose up to the hot water from my garage sink.

Within a few minutes, the stream coming from the pee hole was improved significantly! I am going to repeat this process again this evening. (salt away instructions say to only do it 1x per day to allow the build up to break down...)

I got the vinegar idea from the forums. It seems to work...
              Any advice is appreciated.
              thanks
              E

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                might try compressed air to blow up the tell tail to see if that will move something around
                thanks for the idea. Do you mean where the rubber pee hose attaches to the heat exchange? I can put a compressor hose right up to the little nozzle. THe air wont push the junk the wrong way?
                thanks
                Eric

Comment

Originally posted by philobeddoe View Post
                  thanks for the idea. Do you mean where the rubber pee hose attaches to the heat exchange? I can put a compressor hose right up to the little nozzle. THe air wont push the junk the wrong way?
                  thanks
                  Eric
                  What are you calling a heat exchanger?

I always put it to the exit and yes it will push it back into the motor, but maybe it will at least clear it for a while and maybe go out a different way

Comment

Been doing the salt away for the past few days. I think its time to head on the water and test this thing out!

Comment

Here's another update re: my ongoing top end water problem.

Took the boat out and idled and then putted in the harbor for a while. Everything went well. Water coming out of the top end nicely.

Took a few 1/4 mile laps outside of the breakwater and powered up to 40%. Things went well for 20 minutes and then water stopped coming out of the top. Putted back into the harbor. Pulled off the thermostat cover and pulled the thermostat. There was sandy, jelly, shells and a 1/4 thimble full of junk. Also checked the pee hose and it was obstructed with junk. Cleared it with a piece of bailing wire.

Went back out of the harbor and motored around and things were good for about 10 minutes. Eventually, the water flow cut to about 1/2. I took it in.

Got home and removed the thermostat again, cleaned out the same junk (but less) as earlier. Per the manufacturers directions, I've been doing Salt away for 30 seconds every 24 hours. Water flow seems to be back to 100% again.
                      Ill keep doing this for a week or 14 days and try it again.

Ill also use the air compressor and hit the pee outlet.

I think that I need to dissolve whatever junk is in the system.

Thanks everyone! I really think its time to go catch fish!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X