Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil injection consumption rate

Ok,
    I'm trying to work some kinks out of a 1990 Yamaha 40 that I recently got. Its oil injected, and after funning several full tanks of gas, the oil tank in the motor hasn't moved a bit. Is it normal to use almost NO oil after running at least 30 gallons of gas? I'm a little worried. Lately when the motor shuts off, it ****s to a stop with a bit of a squeak.
    Probably a seperate problem, but when I 'gun it' out of the hole, sometimes the prop slips (like I broke the shear pin) and the engine screams and the boat don't go... But if I run it up smoothly, I dont have problems at all. Could I need to change the lower unit oil? I dont have a manual so I'm not quite sure how to check it? I see a screw on the lower unit. Do I open it up and see if oil comes out?!

Walter

That engine doesn't use a lot of oil it's 200:1 at idle and 100:1 at wide open throttle. Put oil in gas tank, run 100:1 premix until you are sure the oil injection is working. The squeak could be a sign of running lean on fuel, the carbs may need to be cleaned. Check the prop hub to see if slipping, mark a line across the prop washer and hub of prop take boat out and run it then check the line on prop if misaligned then prop needs to be rehub, if line is still aligned then there is a cavitation problem, motor not mounted low enough or not trimming down all the way or something mounted in front of motor like a transducer or sea**** causing disturbance in water.
    There are 2 screws in lower unit you fill it by pumping oil in bottom screw until it comes out the top screw, put the top screw back in first to keep oil from running back out the bottom. then put bottom screw in.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X