Control Box and wiring cable for repower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Box and wiring cable for repower

I'm repowering my skiff from a 1987 70 hp Yamaha 2 stroke to a 2001 4 stroke 80 hp. I have a 703 control box and 10 pin wiring harnes. It has the cold start, electic choke etc. I'm having trouble finding if this will be compatable with the new engine. Some mechs tell me yes, other are saying absolutely not b/c of the difference in 2 and 4 stroke.

Any help? Since the cables are almost 20 years old, I'm going to look into replacing them, but saving the old control box if I can.

Thanks

The elect. harness will work but the 87 70hp has pull to open throttle and the 01 F80 has push to open throttle so you would have to change the pull to open throttle arm in control box to 703-48261-01-00 push to open arm. It can be a hair pulling job to take control box apart change out throttle arm and get it in right(be sure and rotate cam on warm up lever 180 degrees) and get control box back togather without breaking neutral safty switch or pinching any wires between housing's.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Wow, thanks for the fast response. After I posted and continued searching I did find that about the push/pull difference.

I also found a local dealer that has a brand new control box that I need and can switch that over, so I'm going to go with that route and new cables. Seems to make better sense than relying on 20 year old cables

Comment

I agree, good luck and enjoy your new motor.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X