2009 250 Series 2 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 250 Series 2 issues

I have a 09 250 V-Max series 2 and Im having alot of trouble keeping the bulb primed and Im running out of gas. I have replaced the bulb three times, the in line water separator, and ran some new gas lines. It does this off both tanks and it seems to do it more when I idle then mash the gas. However it did this twice last week while running. What should I be looking for? I have had the boat at two dealerships and they are kinda confused as well.

find a dealership with the yamaha fuel system tester.
    tester consits of a pump,flow meter and vacum guage.
    with it you can monitor for air leaks or excessive restrictions in the shop.

Comment

***!!

I'd be run out of town if I could not fix that fast and easy !!! what part of the world do you live ??? a vucuum guage and a Mighty vac,, clear fuel line and a little skill is all that's needed.......I have found the best techs are the indepent shops...think about it....If your good,,,,why would you work for someone else ?????most,but not all dealerships wont touch anything over 10 years old and just want to do quik service jobs...at least in the Monterey bay area of ca.

Comment

new thoughts

ok..here goes..some tanks have strainer on the bottom of the fuel pick up tube and can/do get plugged..next on the outlet of tank is aluminum anti sipon valve that most of us remove and pop out the spring,,ball,and locking collar and reinstall...(I'm not telling you to do this,,hint,hint) then line runs to a flowscan unit (that do plug ) then to a fuel water seperater and then to primer bulb which should be 4" or 5" from motor cowl,,with arrow pointing up skywards for best results.....also there is a tank vent some where on the outside of the gunnel mounted up high that can get plugged with bug nests and other crap!!! so if your primer bulb is collapsing (aka..getting flat) one or more of the above is restriced or plugged...I have seen on very rare older boats that the vent hose has a loop in it inside the boat that is hard to see that can close it self shut after years of pounding.......hope this helps..K&T

Comment

and thats why I work for myself as well as several dealerships.
          and thats why I have the Yamaha fuel system tester.

I can hook the inlet to the tester at the engine filter outlet and route the tester outlet back into the boat tank.
          then I can monitor fuel system vacum at the engines reccomended Liters per hour fuel flow.
          2.6L and down must maintain less than 4" Hg at the reccomended flow.
          3.1L and up must remain less than 6"Hg at the reccomended flow.

so, knowing the engine filter is going to drop about 1/2"Hg, about the same for the water seperator, and the A/S valve is going to drop 1-3"HG(depending on the valve) I know that at a minimum I am going to see at least 1"Hg but no more than max Hg for the engine I am servicing.
          its quick and easy, the equipment pays for itself.

most techs dont realize that the anti siphon valves can be purchased in several valve break pressures.
          valve break pressure will be determined by the amount of fuel line drop from the top of the tank to the lowest point in the fuel line below the tank top.
          if NO part of the fuel system drops below the top of the tank an anti siphon valve is not a USCG requirement.

Comment

yammy tester

I do all kinds of fuel system's and have boxes of reduceser, hoses,"T's" clear hoses..high FI pressure gauges even a water mano meter (ex. back pressue) but always looking for more...looking at a new 76760 inductive KV tester..the stevens is so old school and time consumeing...and yes I don't spell or type well..... K&T PS did you ever build the clear model V-8 plastic motor ??

Comment

no model engines.
              rebuilt my first 327 chevy at Hogan high in 1977 though.
              was a teachers camero that my self and a classmate rebuilt.
              the shop teachers name was Mr Morgan and his vocational program was excellent.
              we also had to do 1 week a month or so at his friends automotive machine shop.

Comment

boating industry

a trade mag that ran a story about 8/9 years ago about how in the very near future (like now) there will be a MAJOR shortage of skilled techs for boats !!! in my area there is a lot of boats and only a few of us know what a ohm is...its just crazy here...electrical and fuel injection have been my strong and fav since around 1980...so work is 10 hrs days 7 days a week then winter hits and I get 3 months of and warm up in Baja sur mex...its a great job...but get tired of getting asked how much and when will the boat be done...LOL 1989 (what ever make) I/O ,-outboard and I havnt even look at the motor ,,,funny,,I too was doing a lot of omc stuff for long time..even stringers in the 90's.............

Comment

wont touch a stringer unit now, period.
                  dont want to mess with a cobra.
                  getting to hard to find parts for the corroded beasts.

FI is the only way to fly.
                  we have hired about 3 outboard school grads.
                  none lasted.

Comment

Lol

I wont touch a striger more than I would jump in a cage with a bear...on the cobra,, I install a stern drive engineering 116 unit and call it a done deal....

Comment

Working...
                    X