Tilt & trim strange amp draw problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt & trim strange amp draw problem

2005 2 stroke carb 150 - My tilt & trim works, but kills the battery. I check it with a DC clamp-on meter. ($55 at Sears) Starting in down position it draws 20 -30 amps until trim cylinders extend, the drops to 15-17 amps. Going down - it draws 15-17 amps until trim cylinders start to retract the draws 35 to over 40 amps. Something must be wrong in the trim cylinders, but I can't imagine what. Any suggestion for a fix would be greatly appreciated.
    The amp draw is the same reading when the motor is locked in the up position with the mechanical lever.
    Last edited by Mattersnot; 04-19-2013, 09:50 PM.

Draw

I tell my guys,unless you use a smart charger..that boat batts are good for 2 seasons.....and outboards need cranking batterys...not deep cycle.....K&T

Comment

thats actually about a normal current draw.
      its funny but under a no load condition it draws more going down than going up.
      its how its valved.
      takes a bit of current to blow the relief valving off the seat.
      the 3.1L 61a unit takes a bit more.

Comment

Looks like I need to sink more money in the lake

Thanks for the help. The only load is the T&T and a LCD depth finder. After using the T&T 5-6 times, the voltage alarm (set at 11 volts) goes off on the depth finder while using the T&T. I charge the battery with a digital charger after each trip and the charger shows 75% charge after a half day of fishing. The (25 amp) charging system appears to be working correctly.
        It appears my only solution is to replace the 4 month old Reserve Capacity = 101 amp) battery with a new larger battery with a 140 or 160 amp Reserve Capacity. I love my old school Yamaha. It cranks up almost instantly, unlike some other brands I’ve owned.

Comment

batts

get a much bigger cranking battery ,, not deep cycle and use s/s nuts..no wing nuts...per AYBC...CFR part 33 & 46

Comment

Battery shopping

Thanks bajakeith. I check some battery specs this morning, and for reasons unknown to me to get a very high Reserve Capacity one must buy either a Deep Cycle or Dual Use battery. I cycled the unit several times this morning, was able to add maybe one squirt of fluid, the recycled it several times again. I tried the amp reading again in daylight, and it was 17 - 20 amps in “tilt” mode, around 25 amps in “trim up” position, and 45 - 50 amps in “trim down” position. It is quiet in all positions except “trim down”, then it sounds like rocks grinding. Even though the engine is several years old, the lower unit, the prop, and the hull looked new, so I suspect it had set up quite a lot. The batteries were rebuilt units. I replaced the cranking battery when it almost died on the water. I changed the *****ing motor, went with a 24 volt system.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattersnot View Post
              The batteries were rebuilt units.

Maybe this is the problem

Comment

tilt tubes can get sticky

most have two zerks,, so give it some triple guard (my fav) and see if that helps...if it wont take grease there is two tricks i'll share,, but first try some grease...btw triple guard grease is the only reason the old "rudes" even ran ...LOL

Comment

you have whats known as a showa unit(also known as the 64E unit).
                  yes they are a bit noisey and your current draw is about normal.

this same basic unit was used by several other outboard manufacturers as well.

Comment

Tilt and trim working great.

Been fishing and traveling. My T&T is working well now. I released some fluid, and added + one ounce of A/T conditioner. Cycled unit countless times, both powered and manually. Finally "grinding" noise at top of tilt cycle went away and top amp draw fell from 49 amps to 40 amps. Bought a new battery with a reserve capacity of 180. Do I think using the A/T conditioner was a miracle cure . . . No. I’ve owned several backhoes, and heard this same type of noise when a small amount of air was in the system. My theory is a small pocket of air was in the tilt cylinders and my repeatedly fully extending the cylinders, then using the manual release screw cleared the air pocket. Just a theory. I’m a plumber and all we know is crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X