Starter problems 250HP ox66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problems 250HP ox66

This concerns the starter on a 250HP OX66 Saltwater seriesII 1995 outboard. I have power to the starter motor (12.45 volts) but when the starter motor engages the flywheel it does not turn it fast enough to satrt the motor. The starter will engage the flywheel and turns it about two gear teeth than stops. I started the engine two weeks ago and it took several tries to get the starter to engage fast enough to start the engine but it did start. The starter motor barely turned the flywheel but then it speed up and was able to start. Does this mean I need a new starter motor?

do a voltage test WHILE its failing.
    if battery voltage remains above about 10.5 then do a voltage drop test on both cables.

Comment

have the battery load tested, any auto parts store can do that.
      Then check all connections and do a voltage drop check like Rodbolt said

Comment

Thanks I will give that a try. Is the voltage drop test done on the battery cables or at the starter motor. Tbe batteries are new if that makes a difference.

Comment

You are looking for a high resistance connection or cable, but never hurts to check everything even battery. Could be a bad internal connection in battery

Comment

slow starter

first pull plugs and check for signs of water intrusion....second do voltage drop check on neg,,& the pos.....last year on a almost new GRADY I found from the factory and hiddin ground stud that was not correcty tightend and worked for a few trips then sorta melted the washer on the stud hidden under the transom storage bins...............K&T...NEVER ASSUME !!

Comment

PS

wing nuts do NOT work !!!! buy REAL s/s nuts for you batts !!! ABYC and CFR part 33 & 46...Nuff said !!....K&T

Comment

I have done voltage drop test and all was normal. Removed plugs, checked for water(none), used lanyard and was able to turn motor easily. Replaced plugs and tried starter again it engages but just has enough power to spin the flywheel a couple of gear teeth. Problem that I am now also having is after using the lanyard the starter isn,t lining up correctly with the flywheel. then the starter motoer just spins with no load. Suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Davjbest View Post
                  I have power to the starter motor (12.45 volts)...
                  Where and how are you measuring 12.45 volts? Is this with the starter engaged or not? If not and this is the voltage at the battery, then you battery is only about 75% charged. If charging the battery does not help, then I think you probably have lost capacity due to sulfating. Time for a new one.

Comment

Thanks,Batt is at 12.45 but thats fully charged, according to my batt charger. I believe the starter motor is the original. It has had a hesitation starting since i bought the boat used 18 months ago. Would sulfating cause a loss of power in the starter motor?

Comment

voltage drop test needs to be done under a load.
                      Did you do it that way or not?

Comment

do you understand what a Voltage drop test is and why we are asking for it?

Comment

batts

12.45 is 75% charged......12.6 or more is 100%..or you do the "redneck test"...geta GOOD, clean set of jumper cables and a fully charged batt (12.6 Volts) hook the pos (red) to batt and to the starter stud..now hook up the neg (black) to the battery and then touch to a clean and bare spot on the starter !!! what happens ?? myself have not had a set of jumper cables for 20+ years...my guys go offshore 25 miles and start *****ing for tuna...boat must work !! no if or butts......
                          Last edited by bajakeith; 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM. Reason: more answer

Comment

Going with new starter motor. The one on the boat is OE and since I go off shore better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                              do you understand what a Voltage drop test is and why we are asking for it?
                              Doesn't sound like this is getting done. But may need some explaining. Is this testing voltage at the starter when cranking?
                              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
                              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Working...
                              X