Rectifier also a voltage regulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rectifier also a voltage regulator?

This is an original Yamaha rectifier on the picture. Does it regulate the voltage as well? Down to under 14.4v?

Can I charge a 7ah 12v battery from my 9.9 hp Yamaha?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kjetillunde; 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM.

Rectifier wont regulate voltage. Yes you can charge a 12 volt battery with it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

It is this one: it says Rectifier and Regulator

Will this regulate the voltage as well?

Comment

7 AH sounds like a gel cell / sealed battery.
        Yamaha does not recommend using those as they will be hurt by the charging

Comment

Why will a 7ah sealed battery be hurt by the charging if there is a Rectifier and Regulator?
          Last edited by kjetillunde; 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

NOT a good idea even with a Yamaha Rectifier / regulator assembly. Yamaha's charging system along with many other outboard engine manufacturers is a crude constant voltage system it will destroy the Gel cell battery in a very short time.

I replaced my regulator / rectifier assembly just yesterday in a 2010 F90TLR that was charging at 15 Volts. The brand new genuine Yamaha "Made in China" part reduced the charge voltage by a few hundred millivolts. It's now a constant 14.7 volts again too much for anything but a large flooded lead acid starting battery.
            Retired and Loving Life

Comment

small ouboards

for years the U.S.C.G. would not let be sold in the usa.....it is not to charge a batt,,,its for running small NAV lights only if it dosnt have electric start.... and contrary to what folks tell you on the bigger motor is not to "charge" but rather to maintain state of charge...FACT !!!

Comment

I had a 6 hp and installed the same rectifier and it worked great for me... for what I was doing. What I wanted is a charging system that would keep a second battery charged that had a sole purpose of powering electric downriggers.

The small 6A charging of the smaller Yamahas seems about right if your use is *****ing. At low speeds, the motor isn't putting out more than just a trickle, and as long as you have a pretty good draw on the battery (such as from a downrigger), it didn't overcharge.

I think the 9.9 has the same 6A rectifier. Not the same issue with the 10A output motors (15 hp)... that's a problem I'm trying to work through right now. I'm seeing voltage up to 17v with the larger output of the bigger motor... not good.

Comment

Working...
                X