Long long shot; center field kinda shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long long shot; center field kinda shot

Anyone ever changed out this shifter bracket before? Don't ask me how it broke of the bottom ear, but it did and without keeping your shift shaft in dead center neutral is impossible. My concern is that I might have to lift out the whole powerhead/carb top end. I sure would love it if one of you guys that work on these things can let me know if you think it can be done without lifting out the top end. My Clymers does not address any removal of this part in any application. Part 31 and part number 6J2-44117-01-94

What motor ?

Comment

ditto, what motor

BTW,clymer and seloc are for starting camp fires !!! LOL

Comment

opps........

c60tlry year 2000

What shop manual can I buy that is a better manual. I work on that motor from time to time and would like a GOOD manual.

Comment

Yahoo! Boats.net parts are on the truck out for delivery. Now I can play (repair) the motor this weekend.

I will post if I have to pull the top end to get to a $23 part......

Comment

Answer - this part comes off without issues really. Helps to have a helper to keep the shift shaft down. I have a couple extra hands that will be here tomorrow for the replacement. I plan on putting the part back on tomorrow. I dropped the lower unit to do the water pump rebuild while I have it in the drive way.

Don't know what caused the bottom ear to break off but I am hoping it is only 13 years of use and I don't have a issue with my shift gears kicking back or something going into neutral.

Comment

texwildman

the only manual is from yammy and is $$$ but worth its weight in **** !!! problem is the jap trans and style is a bit .....uhh...not as good as it can/could be !! and unlike say,,Merc,,rude & others,,, read the section your working on at least a few times and look at everthing on that page !!! IMO..K&T
              Last edited by bajakeith; 04-19-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Damn,,learning how to edit my post..no luck !!+

anyway,,2 poss things for breaking...idle speed or shifting with boat way on !!! just a thought....K&T

Comment

in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, IT happens.
                  some I can remove the bottom carb, some I remove the powerhead.
                  the V4 and V6 will occasionally break as well.
                  not often but they can.
                  if you want real fun do the shift actuator on the F350.
                  engine speed wont have anything to do with that bracket breaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X