F80 Voltage rectifier overheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F80 Voltage rectifier overheats

Hi everyone, actually I have a yamaha four stroke F80. Last time when I used my boat for about an hour stopped charging. I change for a new voltage regulator and starts to charge again but the regulatos is getting hot. I can touch it but for a little time. My question is, this kind of overheat is normal on these regulators / rectifiers?

The Voltage regulator does get hot, this is normal and is the reason it has cooling fins on it. Now your definition of hot is qualitative, not quantified with an actual temperature so I can't answer your question. An IR temperature gun would give the exact temperature.

BTW, are you using wing nuts on your cranking battery? If so, STOP! If they come loose while your engine is running you will SMOKE your regulator!!! Ask me how I know this ()!!! Yep, cost me a regulator AND and CDI unit that it burnt when the regulator caught fire!!

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for your advice friend!!!
      Actually I'm using wing nuts that ill consider to change ASAP. I'll measure the temp to let you know. I'm using the newest regulator version for this engine.
      Again thanks..

Comment

Just FYI - The working temperature for the Voltage regulator's range is -20C to 60C. 60C = 140F......so if you couldn't touch it now you see why!!

What is usually the culprit for the VR going bad is loose connections to battery and bad wires. Essentially what happens is a vicious cycle of the battery telling the voltage regular that "I'm Charged, nope I'm Dead, Charged, Dead, Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead".......until the magic blue smoke releases itself from the regulator....

Now, make sure all your wires to the battery are good and you get rid of those wing nuts!!

Comment

Thanks Cat Cam. So valious info, I apreciate your help!!!

Originally posted by CatCam View Post
          Just FYI - The working temperature for the Voltage regulator's range is -20C to 60C. 60C = 140F......so if you couldn't touch it now you see why!!

What is usually the culprit for the VR going bad is loose connections to battery and bad wires. Essentially what happens is a vicious cycle of the battery telling the voltage regular that "I'm Charged, nope I'm Dead, Charged, Dead, Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead,Charged, Dead".......until the magic blue smoke releases itself from the regulator....

Now, make sure all your wires to the battery are good and you get rid of those wing nuts!!

Comment

Working...
          X