Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tilt/trim: which way do the thrust receiver bolts go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt/trim: which way do the thrust receiver bolts go?

The "thrust receiver bolts" are what the trim rams hit when you lower your engine. Supposed to have a little grease on them.

here's my question: the head of each bolt has a square end and a rounded end. Which end is up when your engine is down??? If you have a 200+ hp Yamaha, I would appreciate your help by hearing how yours are positioned. I have a 2001 225 VMax. THANK YOU!

FYI: I believe the rounded end should be UP. Mine were down, and the trim ram seals kept going out. I believe the bolt head was in wrong, putting side force on the rams and stretching the seals as the ram was pushed away from dead center. the yammy manual has a crummy pic that does not show proper position.

They are flat sided that locks them from turning
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sorry, I did not describe well. The head of the receiver bolt is shaped like a rectangle, except one side of the rectangle is is not straight, but is an arc. The bolt can be inserted 2 ways: either with the arched side of the head up, or turned 180 degrees with the arched side down ( when the motor is in the trimmed down position). There is a nut on the other end that holds the receiver bolt in place.

So which way is correct?

Comment

They will go either way, yours may be worn.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I bought new ones. They CAN go in either way, but only one way is correct. Which way is correct?

Comment

Working...
          X