Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 150HP, how do I tell if its charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 150HP, how do I tell if its charging?

Hello!

New motor for me, new to outboards.

How do I easily tell if the engine is charging the battery? I suspect a problem, the boat came with a new battery when I bought it. I don't want to launch the boat for the summer and find out it has a charging issue. I have been sorting out a non-functioning tach on the boat and since its related to the charging system I am getting concerned that it may be the stator/rectifier, not the tach.

Today I checked voltage at the battery with the motor not running, 12 volts, started motor, still 12 volts and used the tilt to put a load on the charging system. Meter went down to 11 and back up to 12. I have alot of experience with cars and would think the engine would put out 13-14 volts when running? I then found the rectifier. The seloc manual had a procedure to check for conductivity but the diagram/chart had 2 green wires, two red wires, one black. Mine had three green wires, one red and one black. So I am at a loss on how to proceed.

Can some give me a practical way to confirm that the charging system is working? And then if not how to troubleshoot next? I don't want to find out the engine running solely a new battery (no charging) and it dies a few hours on the water. (there is no meter on the helm). This is an electronic ignition 150HP 1990 yamaha.

Thanks!

M

if you put a volt meter on the battery with the engine running and it read 12 volts, then it is not charging, and there is a way to test this. i would suggest a service manual (not seloc) or a qualified technician..

Comment

I agree your motor is not charging.

Need to check peak voltage into rectifier/regulator loaded and unloaded.
      and then the output voltage also
      will need the proper test equipment and compare to the specs in manual.
      they are listed as minimum.

A DVA adapter is less $ than the the correct meter

Comment

Working...
      X