Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

86 pro v 150 still burning up water pumps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was able to tear into the motor a little more this evening. Left stat was frozen closed. PRV was stuck, all new parts are on order. Was able to reduce some hoses and back flush through stat holes.Had water flow down through the pump pick up tube on both left and right stat holes. Ran into a problem on PRV housing. One of the bolts was seized, and snapped, tried to easy out but wouldn't even start to budge it. was able to put it back on with the single bolt and saw no leaks, hopefully the new gasket and rtv will hold it. Not going to attempt the exhaust cover or water jackets. they have never been off and as many bolts i'm sure some would snap. I can also get good flow from the pick up tube out the pee hole so I think I'm not blocked. Hopefully with all the new parts I will be fine. Not gonna even attempt muffs when I get it back together straight to the lake to see how it does. I'm worried but gotta try, no Yammi mechanics around here. I'll let ya know how it goes when the parts come in. Appreciate any further advise.

Comment

you need to repair the broken bolt, drill, tap, helicoil what ever.
      hard to believe you let things go this far without servicing the cooling system
      Last edited by 99yam40; 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I traded an old four wheeler for the boat last year. It had been sitting for over three years. It did not run at all when I brought it home. Had the carbs rebuilt and it ran great last summer, other than the oil injection problems, which I converted to premix over the winter. I'm not the one that neglected it, I'm trying to bring it back. I don't have a lot of extra money to drive two hours to an expensive shop and just trying to bring it back with the little bit of skills I have. And yes I am going to buy some cobalt bits this week to drill and retap if I need to. Did not know my titanium bits were not hard enough. I'm trying ,thats the best I can do. The largest boat and motor I had prior was a 14 ft aluminum with a 70's 25 horse. Not trying to be a pane to anyone. Just thought that this is what the site was for. Sorry.

Comment

I guess the question I have now is to let it give up the ghost and junk it? I have tried, and yes I have asked a lot of stupid questions. Just thought I could bring it back on my limited budget. I thought I was going the right direction and in the water it performed great. I couldn't understand why it melted pumps on muffs. Used a single first and after the first pump fried went to a double. I just wanted a way to fire it up before I launched it because I'm disabled, and in these days and time not many want to help winching in a dead boat. I'm still stubborn and like to be self sufficient when I'm out. If I can bring it back and afford it I'm ready.
          Last edited by 2mark1965; 04-09-2013, 10:34 PM. Reason: Mispelled

Comment

use a good quality drill bit.
            I use Dewalt bullit points cause they dont walk.
            drill it and either tap it back to 6x1mm,1/4x20 or heli coil it.
            bolt is fairly soft,housing is softer, dont let the bit walk.
            not knowing if you actually have the original gearcase may make parts difficult.
            a good picture of the drive shaft with the impeller may help.

Comment

You asked for advice, and You got some.
              No one is getting down on you, it helps when you explain the history on the motor.

The cooling system is very important and is something that needs attention often.
              Broken bolts need to be addressed not just hope they do not matter

Comment

Thanks rodbolt, will go tomorrow for bits. Not trying to side step anything, just didn't want to cause further damage. This poor engine has had it rough and still runs strong. I just don't want to cause it more harm, and will do the best as my budget allows.

Comment

try to post a pic like Rodbolt said so he might be able to identify you lower unit better

Comment

Well guys, I'm thinking the stat on the left side was the problem. And as we all know these things hate muffs. Had a guy come by yesterday and offered me a good price. Actually offered more than I asked, just to put it all back together when the parts come in. Started it up with a hose I fabed to fit the water tube directly without the lower on. He said sounds great motor is strong and I want it. Picked up a 91 tracker pro v 17 60 hp johnson today, always been garage kept. Peferct for me on this smaller lake. Grayson Lake, Ky. It will get more than 1.5 to the gallon and will run so much shallower. Had to constantly watch the finder on the HP because it was so heavy. Big water boat. Thanks for all the help, and if your on the johnson site i'm sure we will hook up sooner or later. Sorry if I asked stupid questions and whined like a baby sometimes but I am grateful. 99yam, Rodbolt especially you guys.

Comment

BTW, Rodbolt the new owner said he had the tools to re-tap the PRV cover. Just asked me to put the new cooling system back in. Still gonna pick up a set of those bits though.

Comment

Working...
                      X