water impeller and case ft50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water impeller and case ft50

was having an over heating concern, just had lower unit checked and new pump put in,,
    pulled lower unit off and pump impeller plastic cover, found impeller steel cup not being held by cover, has been just spinning with the impeller. cover worn,

what could have happened?

hark

either it was assebled improperly or run dry.
    a picture would tell the story.

Comment

pump pics

[ATTACH]1134[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1136[/ATTACH]

Comment

So did this happen while on the old T50 motor or after you swapped this lower to the F50?

Did you find anything in the impeller that could lock it up to the cup?

What did impeller look like?

Comment

i did install on f50 engine, but it over heated as the t50 did. convinced me to check pump
          did not see any thing in pump, impeller good, complete, not torn or melted
          I do run wilderness tour in the Peace river, get into low water at times, maybe sucked some mud, but did not think that would do. this

Comment

I suck up mud and sand all the time, wears the impeller and wear plate/cup but never would I think this would happen with the pick up screen in place to keep out larger stuff.

Rodbolt is probably on the mark for possible causes.
            Was the T50 overheating before the impeller install or just afterwards?
            How long did it get run on the F50?
            hope it is not damaged too from overheat.

Looks like you will need a new kit and housing

Comment

only ran for a minute or two on other engine
              screens are in place, so I don't want to blame my tech, but?
              had the unit checked and new pump done a few hours ago,
              then started to overheat,(buzzer would go off) would shut down, then restart and run till buzzer went again. some days it never went off,

am going to replace and see.

thanks for all the feed back

great site

hark
              Last edited by captainhark; 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM. Reason: to add more info

Comment

If the overheat only started after the water pump was replaced I would be talking to the shop/tech that did the replacement.
                Hard to prove anything but they still need to be notified of what happened.
                and Who knows they may step up, but kind of doubt it

Comment

looks like incorrect assy.
                  looks like the insert cup alignment tang wasnt correctly indexed in the housing.
                  no signs of melt noticed.
                  either its the wrong kit,still an assymbly issue, or incorrect assy.

that tang on the cup MUST correctly fit the CORRECT slot in the housing or thats what you get.

Comment

thanks all,

one more question,

when installing lower unit; does the shift shaft splines only line up one way, or can you be off a spline one way or the other?

Ok one more ,,, with lower unit off and shift cable unhooked is the shift lever post suppose to line up with the mark on the shift rail? when moving the shift lever with unit off and cable unhooked it seems to have a center at neutral but does not line up with mark on shift rail.

hark

Comment

yes and yes.
                      dunno what else to say.
                      the splines at the lower will only fit correctly 1 way.
                      however, as you have seen, some techs pay no attention to alignment marks/tabs.

Comment

so i take original T50 engine to the shop,
                        they say lower crank seal, need to weld head where cavitation has worn,
                        and so on, $1000.00 repair total
                        is it normal to weld the cylinder head?

worked in the auto repair for years and never welded a head.

hark

Comment

You speaking about welding a cylinder head or the power head where lower crank seal rides?

If cylinder head maybe a corrosion pocket/flaw, but have not heard of cavitation wear.

But I do not know much so
                          Rodbolt should answer with a lot better knowledge

Comment

corrosion, wear maybe a better discription, have not been there to see myself
                            it is in the cylinder head though

hark

Comment

flaw in casting would be my guess making area to corrode thinner to start out with, unless corrosion was accelerated due to not flushing with fresh water after salt use.

I have heard of this before

Comment

Working...
                              X