No announcement yet.

Sticks in forward, clicks in reverse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticks in forward, clicks in reverse...

I have a SX150TXRY that remained in forward when control is moved to neutral and occasionally will click while in reverse when steering is hard over to starboard.

I assumed that the cable was out of rig and reset it by pulling the hitch pin at the engine control rod end, manually feeling for the neutral position, adjusting rod end, and re securing with the hitch pin. I also ensured that the cables were not in tension through full articulation of the helm.

I initially had to extend the rod end about 4 full turns.

Driveway tests had the engine now hanging up in reverse when the control was returned to neutral. Again I made adjustment to the rod end until I had engagement in both directions and came to neutral every time. About 1 1/2 turns shorter

Did I set it correctly?

Then I thought, I should verify the LX150TRXY is also rigged. The port engine appeared to be rigged properly in that regard. But I did note that unlike the Stbd engine, that when I returned to neutral, that the prop shaft continues to free spool in the forward direction. From either going from forward or from reverse. Additionally, when running no load (in driveway on muffs) reverse has a momentary grind when the dogs grab the prop free spooling in forward to a command of reverse. (Momentum of the SS prop spinning being reversed, I didn't do that again) I assume this is internal friction in a no load situation. Please advise. PS: I can easily stall the propeller from free spooling with no indication that the dogs are engaging.

Is this a normal situation with this counter rotating lower unit? Is it indicative of possible fault / future failure? I read from Rodbolt about different design of thrust bearings from standard to counter rotating lowers.

I just purchased this vessel and have ordered the waterpump service kits and lower gear oil, fill plug gaskets, cotterpins, etc. What do I lubricate the prop shaft, drive shaft and lower unit mounting bolts with to ensure next years dis-assembly?
    Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-06-2013, 11:59 AM. Reason: Composition and re-phrasing
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

any water proof grease will work, I use special lube 101 by quick silver.
    make sure the cables are properly secured in the cable anchors.
    turning should have NO effect on shifting unless an anchor is loose or the cable is bad.

Comment

Thank you rodbolt17.
      I understand and appreciate your sharing of your expertise.
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
      X