Need help f 150 from Bahamas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help f 150 from Bahamas!

Hello, we are in Bimini. Yesterday cruising at 3500 rpm my son said he heard a noise and right engine went to slow mode. Checked oil, water flow both good. Shifted to forward, nothing, reverse nothing. Pulled cover, shift cable is doing its job. Put in forward, motor off trimmed up. Prop is in gear. Tried reverse , same thing.seems if broken drive shaft, it would spin in gear which it does not??????

Remove bottom drain screw from gearcase and see if has metal on drain screw magnet or water in gearcase oil, if so then have problem in gearcase.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Possibly you spun the hub on the propeller. The center attachment of the propeller is a rubber core that acts as a vibration dampner between the spline hub and the blades.

What I might do if I were stuck in Bimini and this is what I really suspected, is swap propellers from engine to engine and see if the problem follows the prop. CAUTION your gear shifters will now be reversed. So to go forward you will use reverse (counter rotating propellers).

Now, your probably not going to get up on a plane with the engine churning around in reverse (boat moving forward) and you may have an excessive amount of reverse thrust (shifter pushed to forward) but if your propeller hub is spinning freely with the good engine from before wearing the bad engines propeller, well that should tell you something.

NOTE: please check as Boats.net has suggested and check the gear oil for evidence of metal shavings and or chunks. I hope you don't find any.

When I had my experience, I was unable to detect the situation by putting it in gear at the dock and turning the propeller. It seemed just fine and felt solid. It was when the propeller was mounted and doing sea trials that the boat would loose speed and the single engine would over rev as if the propeller was cavitating.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

F150 Bahamas

Ok,making to beach and checking props. I have the merc ss props with the plastic type hubs but will try any way. Will advise.

Comment

DO NOT EVER NEVER EVER swap props from a counter to a standard rotation gear case standard to counter.
          gear case failure will follow in less that 30 minutes.
          a standard left hand rotation case uses propshaft thrust on the front gear for fwd operation.
          the counter or right hand case uses the aft gear for absorbing shaft thrust in fwd operation.
          the counters front gear wont accept thrust nor will the standard cases aft gear work well with much thrust over an extended period.

this I have witnessed personnally.

Comment

F150 bahams help

Ok, backed boat up to floating dock, put motor in forward and tried turning prop again. It turned witha bunch of grinding noise. Verified hub was good, tied rope to lower and unbolted, slid right off. Looks like a reman from sei for $1,000. I guess it is the main drive gear since no forward or reverse? Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X