Starter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problems

I have a 2000 Yam 115HP. When I turn the ignition I get a click sound from the starter and that's it. I can start the engine with a rope. Checked the batteries and they are good. Does this mean the starter has gone bad and needs replacing? If so what is a reasonable price for replacement.

Dancam

Dancam,
    The clicking you hear is probably the starter relay. Monitor the voltage at the starter - big red wire that goes over to the relay. Turn the ignition switch to start - should be 12 volts at the starter terminal - if not, then the starter relay is bad or associated wiring.
    If there is 12 volts at the starter terminal, then the starter is bad, or the connection. Could be just brushes, hopefully. The brushes are fairly easy and inexpensive to replace. You will need a Yamaha service manual to show you how to remove and break down the starter to get to the brushes. Or you can take the starter to most any starter/generator shop and they will overhaul it for you - maybe $125. You don't want to have to replace the starter - Yamaha is very proud of their starters - about $600.
    By the way - you are one strong dude if you can start that 115 by rope!
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

You can bypass the relay with a jumper from battery/charger to the hot lead on the starter. if it jumps up and spins your motor, youve ruled out your starter.

I used to have to pull start my old evinrude but havent had to pullstart one for the last 12 yrs, thanks Yamaha !

Comment

Thanks Guys:

I will give your suggestions a try. And yes, it's no fun starting the engine with the rope.

Comment

Working...
        X