15 HP 2 Cycle Parts Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 HP 2 Cycle Parts Questions

I am not overly familiar with outboards and the terminology used in identifying parts. I have taken the engine apart to replace a broken upper casing. In doing this I had to remove the power head. I of, course broke two of the bolts, but I will ask those questions in another thread.

My parts questions are these. When I removed the power head from the bottom cowling, there were three O-Rings remaining in the bottom cowling that I want to replace. I think they are called Damper, Water Seal in the parts list. Is this correct?

Bolted to the power head was a very corroded piece that I need to replace, in the parts list for the Crank-Piston it is called the Housing, Oil Seal. Is this correct? Is this where the drive shaft goes into the engine? If yes, I am sure it would be a good idea to replace all of the oil seals also.

Thanks in advance for any help with the parts identification.

What year and model is your engine? Those will help the folks on this forum determine what parts you need - and others to which you reference.

Salt is a nasty compound that wreaks havoc with bolts. Heat can help, but you need to be careful with it. PB Blaster or liquid wrench is your friend.

Best of luck with your repair.

Comment

The engine is a Yamaha 15 HP 2 cycle with a model number 15SG. That makes it a 1988 short shaft motor.

Thanks you for the information on the bolts. I have used a Teflon valve grease in similar circumstances. It is Dow Corning 111 Valve Lubricant & Sealant.

Comment

I chatted with Boats.net and got the answers to my parts questions. My thoughts were correct.

Comment

Working...
        X