Battery Orientation - Does it Matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Orientation - Does it Matter?

Does it matter if batteries are mounted port/starboard or bow/stearn.

I've never thought about this one before, instructions on the new trays don't say. The new ones are wider and require the orientation to be flipped in order to get 3 onto the same shelf.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Originally posted by gradyjeff View Post
    Does it matter if batteries are mounted port/starboard or bow/stearn.

I've never thought about this one before, instructions on the new trays don't say. The new ones are wider and require the orientation to be flipped in order to get 3 onto the same shelf.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Any orientation is OK, just so they are not upside down

There may be some here on this site that insist that a battery's positive post always faces North, but they are in the minority.

Comment

they will receive a lot more pounding/vibration if mounted in the bow and batteries do not like that.
      Try to keep cables as short as you can

Just try to balance out the load you normally carry, batteries are heavy

Comment

I know it sounded like a funny question. But, with the many rows of plates inside standard marine batteries. Wasn't sure if the way a battery was mounted, would make a difference.
        Optima's with the spiral cells seemed like it would not matter.
        Existing batteries are in the bilge, near the transom, in the center of the boat. The new trays don't fit side by side (battery length parrellel with transom), so each battery would have to be rotated 90degrees (perpendicular with transom) to fit on the same shelf.

Comment

Working...
        X