Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of power and alarm

115 2 stroke 99 model.
    High RPM 5,000 more or less, loss of power, solid alarm goes off. Pull back to out of gear and let sit long enough (minute) alarm will go off, get back up on the plane no problem. Seems to run fine upto 4500 or so. Get back to 5,000 and in a minute or so the problem will repeat itself. Turn the switch off the back on and will crank back up jump back up on the plane.
    Have changed both thermonstats, water pump, fuel filter, fuel hose. Check connections to CDI for corrison along with fuses. Is it possible to be overheating? When running have pulled off the hood, and ran with hood off. When the alarm goes off I have shut the engine down went to the back and put my hand on both thermostats housing and not unconfortable to do so.
    If I try to get back up on the plane with the alarm going off the engine just shutters like miss fireing. Battery connections to the engine on both ends are clean and good. Had to replace the main power lead from battery to engine a year ago. New fuel hose from tank to engine.
    What would cause the engine to shutter with the solid alarm going off.
    Oil tank on engine is at the correct level.
    What am I missing?

If oil level in engine oil tank is below bottom line on tank it will activate alarm.
    If have loose battery cable or loose fuse in engine fuse holder it will activate alarm.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The shuddering is a limp home setting so that if your low on oil or overheating , you can make it home without severe damage.
      Chances are that there is a buildup of corrosion on your cooling jackets and not allowing the engine to cool properly, actually I can almost guarantee you thats the problem.

Comment

Thats what I am thinking, clogged cooling passages.

So, last night, I made a system to recirculate Salt Away through the engine. I used an old shureflow fresh water pump that had a bad pressure switch (I keep all kinds of junk like this, for this kind of project.)

A recycle tub with a trash bag liner to make it watertight. My pump with a garden hose length and male end, and a pickup hose, 12 volt battery.....

Mixed up about 20 oz salt away (west marine) with eight to ten gallons water and let it circulate by catching discharge fluid and pumping it back into the motor flush hose.

Did the stbd engine for about an hour then the port and I fell asleep I think it ran for about three hours.

There is a better chemical called rydlime (rid lime) They use it to clean scale from heat exchangers on marine vessels and offshore oil installations.
        It is safe, biodegradable, supposedly safe for metals and ships without hazmat. It is a HCL solution with magic additives.

Rydlime representative describes the action like dissolving sugar in coffee or a cough drop dissolving in your mouth.
        If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
        X