Engine restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine restoration

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance you have have. I worked in a marina's service department about 15 years ago and tore down my share of lower units in my day but it has been about 8 years since I last tore down a Yamaha Outboard so I need a refresher.

I bought a 1980 22' Boston Whaler Revenge last week and it has a 1991 225 HP Yamaha outboard. I bought the whole rig (including trailer) without being able to test anything. (the price was right). I do know from the previous owner that it needs a water pump impeller.

My plan of attack is to restore the lower unit and then work my way up. I want to tear down the LU, inspect all the driveshaft, gears, clutch dog, housing, etc. in addition to replacing the water pump and water pump housing. My question pertains to the parts I'll need:

1) Can I get by with just the water pump rebuild kit or will I also need to order the lower unit rebuild kit?

2) Can I get by with the WP rebuild kit and a few additional o-rings?

Thanks,

John

Replace the entire water pump, but if the lower unit is working and not leaking water into it then just change the lower unit oil and save your time and money on that for now. When you drain the lower unit oil inspect it carefully for water, metal pieces or contamination. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks, Robert.

I thought about just replacing the water pump impeller (housing and all like you recomend) but this boat has been in a saltwater environment all of its life and I have no idea what sort of treatment it had and what kind of shape the gears are in. If I was just going to cruise on a lake, no doubt I would do exactly what you recomend but my plan is to restore the boat and take her back to the Chesapeake Bay. So I want to have the peace of mind that I have throughly gone through it before we go out on the open water. Plus its a single engine boat.

I did some more research and it looks like I'll need the water pump repair kit (I guess that comes with the housing--at $70 it better) and the Gear Housing Gasket Kit. Gettting both will set me back about $160 but I'll be doing all the work myself so I'll be saving some money on labor. Just hope she comes apart OK....That's the big question and if she resists, I'll alter my plan of inspecting the gears and just see how she does out on the water.

Comment

being a salt water run motor you know there is a good chance of breaking some bolts to get it apart.

All the Yamaha water pump kits I have seen do not come with housing, but they did not cost $70, so I would call and talk to who you are buying it from

Comment

if its been in saltwater you will need a claw nut a drill and oxy/acetylyne to dissasemble/reassemble.
          the lower "kit" will be twice the price of the parts you will actually need.
          but pay no attention to the fool in the corner.

Comment

Working...
          X