Fuel additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel additives

I'm getting ready to mix up a fresh batch of gas & oil for my 9.9 two stroke. I've used Yamaha oil with Seafoam and 87 octane gas in the past. I've heard guys talk about mixing "Startron" in with their gas and would like to know if that's a good or bad idea. Thanks.

undrdawg,

You'll get as many opinions as answers when it pertains to fuel additives.

I can tell you my experience, and what my Yamaha servicing dealer told me. FYI I have a 2000 OX66 150HP. My dealer told me if I run Yamaha Ring Free Plus and Startron I'll have no fuel related issues.

I've had this motor for three years (second owner). Each year when I winterize I store a full tank (20 gal) with Ring Free and Startron. I've yet to have a fuel issue. This past fall I stored the full tank with Ring Free and a new storage fuel additive (EZ Store EZ Start Gas Storage Additive) from StarBrite (maker of Startron). I'll be getting my boat out in the next 4-6 weeks (central Minnesota) and we'll see if the "new" additive is any better or worse.

My experience the past two years w/ the Ring Free and Startron is I take the boat to the landing (spring launch), pump the primer bulb, turn the key to on for three seconds, start it and it simply purrs. I run the tank of stored fuel and see no issues.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-05-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

i do the same,i run ring free and star tron all year long.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys. I'll give it a try.

Comment

Do you use recreational fuel without alcohol or regular auto/alcohol fuel from the citgo station?
          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

FWIW I use regular pump gas, 87 octane w/ alcohol. Haven't had an issue using Startron and Ring Free +.

Comment

ethanol

bad,bad stuff!! so far after 2 years of research on the matter,, I have found nothing that will stop water in the tank problem (phase separation) there is not a additive on the market that will stop it !!! changing your fuel/wsep a lot with a ten micron is a good practice........merc makes a water sponge that you can change the s/s wire to 60lb Dacron and install thru the sending unit and run & crash stop the boat for a while and the pull boat and lower the touge and raise back up on the ball...remove (sock/sponge) see how much you can get out of tank !! wish I had a magic bullet or bottle of snake oil !! In CA. we can not get non ethanol except racing gas $$$$ and the FAA wont let planes use it !! (ethanol) I see VST filters plugged all the time because of it !!!! I have TSB from MERC for ca. dealers stating gas can go bad in 20 days !!!! yikes !!!

Comment

I use startron in my boat, holds 65 gallons and actually got used 4 hours last year.
                took it out last week with no issues.
                if you wish to observe our marine technician stimulous package in action.
                use a 1 qt mason jar, fill said jar with E-10 gas.
                watch it on the bench for the next 20 minutes.
                it will go from transparent to milky opaque in 10 min or so.
                depends on your relative humidity.

Comment

sir rodbolt

I have seen a guy on you tube take a mason jar with eth gas sat next to a fan and in a few mins phase separation happens !!! yikes !!! here in santa cruz ca. with morning fog its is a major problem !!!startron is a good additive, but does not remove the water !! and yammy "ring free" is for reducing carbon for better piston cooling and cleaning...As far as my small mind knows,, there is nothing that will remove water from a fuel cell (tank) except extraction...you thoughts on this matter is respected.....K&T

Comment

Working...
                  X